University of Auckland

Clear
4.2Work–Life Balance
3.9Pay & Benefits

Good place to work for

I worked here as a TA during my study,Work is well balanced and well-paid. All the staffs are nice and easy to work with. It was a pleasurable work experience.

Pros

Pay, relaxed working environment

Cons

Can’t think of any for now

High work load but good pay

Good pay for someone who is still studying and working the job part-time. The role has a high work load though, and can be stressful as it takes up a lot of your time. Can be rewarding when students are appreciative of the tutorial.

Terrible employer

It was a really horrible place to work. You wouldn't see your colleagues most days and when you did they were very demoralised. Managers were just careerists who had no genuine interest in their staff. The whole place had a constant air of crisis about it and the managers were constantly reminding staff that there was little job security. They never treated their staff as skilled professionals. You'd be mad to work here. The salary was good by Auckland standards but there was little chance for career progression.

Management is over-paid, while people who do the daily grind are under-paid.

Management is not open and collaborative. They make decisions without discussing it with staff. They do not really know what happens on the ground. $5M was found to buy a house for the new VC, but they don't have money to pay the staff a decent salary.

Working at University of Auckland

Its an excellent workplace with lot of work-life balance and minimal stress. Though at times it lacks advancement in career. Also, the review process does not really get translated in salary upgrade.

Great benefit for employees with young family

The University has good benefits for employees especially those with young family. However, other institutions offer better salaries and career progression. As for the workplace culture, it depends on the team and the management within that team. Some are not flexible and very directive. I was lucky to be in a team with very supportive management who advocates on our behalf.

Codieren

Flexible Arbeitszeiten Sehr angenehmes Arbeitsklima Gesprächige und sehr freundliche und aufgeschlossene Kollegen. Gutes internes Betriebsklima Verbesserung der Sprachkenntnisse

Pros

Flache Unternehmenshierarchie

Cons

Mittagessen musste außerhalb der Universität besorgt werden.

Productive and fun work place

Good work place. 5 weeks of annual leave. Great Appraisal methods in place. Very professional. Good management. Positive job culture. Progressive employers.

Pros

5 weeks of annual leave

Cons

Many meetings and long hours every 2 weeks and sometimes even more.

a wondereful environment to work with : nice staffs, supportive technicians, excellent facilities, easy access by public transport, high paid and opportunities for travelling

multicultural environment

a great place to work, many good benefits for employees, high job security, there is a High expectation of employees, high standard of performance. The culture of the environment is one of tolerance and acceptance

I thoroughly enjoyed my time their.

I put a lot into my job and got a lot back in return. I enjoyed working with the various staff and i also enjoyed the benefits and training of the Univetsity of Auckland.

Pros

End of year parties.

Cons

i cant think of any.

Excellent Work Atmosphere and Ample of Learning

Learned a lot of things working with this company. International Exposure was there while working with people across the world.

Pros

Free meals with transport

Cons

Not Any

Overall an enjoyable job to have

A typical tutoring day would involve an hour block to review the in-course lectures, and ensure everyone in attendance had advanced understanding of the main lecture points which would allow them to excel in the end of year exam.Sometimes this would involve inviting the lecturers in to the class to personally answer any questions the students had which would take place over a special two hour block session.Personally I am not much of a public speaker so the hardest part of the job was articulating the appropriate delivery of information to so many different people; with the aim that they would all understand what I say as everyone learns differently. My partner tutor and I approached this with use of electronic resources such as overhead projectors, print outs and explanatory diagrams on the blackboard.I was lucky to have an experienced co-worker which was able to fill in for my short comings when it came to public speaking, alongside my sound knowledge of the paper we were teaching (fresh in my mind having taken the paper the previous year), we were a great team and the majority of our students achieved above average marks.The most enjoyable part of the job were the benefits of providing not only a tutoring service, but a small community within our class which encouraged friend making amoungst the students and the tutors, this allowed free opinion for the students without judgement or destructive criticism, and contributed to an enjoyable working environment for my co-tutor and myself.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Auckland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Auckland