University of Auckland

University of Auckland Employee Reviews

New Zealand121 reviews

4.2Work–Life Balance

Good place to work for

I worked here as a TA during my study,Work is well balanced and well-paid. All the staffs are nice and easy to work with. It was a pleasurable work experience.

Pros

Pay, relaxed working environment

Cons

Can’t think of any for now

Working at University of Auckland

Its an excellent workplace with lot of work-life balance and minimal stress. Though at times it lacks advancement in career. Also, the review process does not really get translated in salary upgrade.

Studied Engineering

Studied Bachelors of Engineering at University of Auckland. Situated near the Auckland CBD i enjoyed the challenging degree and the friends made along this journey.

Excellent research environment

The university is ranked No. 1 in New Zealand and on top universities of the world. The facility is advanced, however, the process might take a long time to process. Ther are many great supervisors who are willing to support you on your research.

A fun and productive position

Running an international group for my faculty enables me to effectively communicate with a wide range of people from all over the world. The hardest part is to get enough international students to engage in the activities that we intend to do. However, it effectively enhances my inter-personal and communicative skills.

Great benefit for employees with young family

The University has good benefits for employees especially those with young family. However, other institutions offer better salaries and career progression. As for the workplace culture, it depends on the team and the management within that team. Some are not flexible and very directive. I was lucky to be in a team with very supportive management who advocates on our behalf.

Student support

I received student and provided guidance to new students, as a part of the international student team. it was fun work and it improved my social skills.

Pros

Good experience

Cons

only short period of time

Part time teaching was good

Part-time teaching while doing a PhD. Applied and took on various teaching jobs and courses depending on semester and year. Teaching was fun. However, depending on the courses like design courses, it takes up a lot of time.

Good opportunities to learn about interesting project.

Good opportunities to learn about an interesting project. However, contract processing is taking forever. The professor is helping to make everything works.

Good work/life balance

Culture at the University is good. A lot of great people who want you to succeed. Some old legacy systems do hold back current projects and everyone seems to complain about them but not much is done to optimise or replace them.

Learn on the Job

Learnt a lot in the process and was able to balance this job with the rest of my uni studies. The job was fairly straight forward and it was great being able to help students with modules you have done in the past. The teaching staff are absolutely amazing and help boost your confidence.

Challenging but also exciting workplace

Amazing people to work with, and management are very supportive. Workplace is vibrant and beautiful, and exciting with ongoing changes to the business.

Pros

Education IT sector, top NZ University, CBD location, work with amazing people from all walks of life

Cons

Constant and ongoing reviews to change well established processes and business practices

Nice working place

I did a research internship at Auckland University. I learned a lot, though my project could have been more challenging. I enjoyed my time working there.

Amazing Experience

All good things! AMAZING WORKPLACE CULTURE! • Update contact and demographic information • Connect and engage with alumni about their experience at university and their own career progression • Ask alumni to support their alma mater by making a donation to student support and scholarship funds • Polling & information gathering, data entry All of this helped me gain a meaningful experience within an office environment.

Great place to work, flexible working hours and friendly atmosphere. The university supports both research and academic staff to advance in their respective fields.

Nice

Worked as TA and I love the job. The schedule was flexible for me so I could do other works simultaneously. Overall, I found teaching and marking rewarding although sometime it could be tedious due to the nature of assignment marking.

Good

Worked as a maths tutor for Stage One students. It was hard sometimes explaining concepts and ideas to students but that's how you learn. Excellent facilities provided at the University of Auckland.

Indigenous Research Intern

relaxed learning environment along with concerned and friendly staff and faculty who is always willing to help students with school and life situations.

Pros

friendly faculty and staff school environment

Cons

n/a

Great place, innovation hub of NZ

Working with some of the most intelligent people in New Zealand. Great experience. Flexible working hours and excellent opportunities to learn and develop.

Great student job

This is a secure job for students and is flexible around my timetable. It has a variety of jobs and has helped me connect with many different people across uni.

cutting teachers and courses

The cuts to the humanities has severely affected both the quality of learning and the moral of staff. With few Stage 1 History courses students are limited to exposure to History and therefore will not be inspired to take History at a higher level.

Pros

colleagues

Cons

no job securty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Auckland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Auckland