University of Auckland

University of Auckland Employee Reviews

New Zealand121 reviews

4.2Work–Life Balance

Good place to work for

I worked here as a TA during my study,Work is well balanced and well-paid. All the staffs are nice and easy to work with. It was a pleasurable work experience.

Pros

Pay, relaxed working environment

Cons

Can’t think of any for now

Fun Workplace

I had to give tours to people who are interested in University of Auckland's Halls of Residences. It was very nice meeting new people. I develop good interpersonal skills and fast-thinking as I have to keep on talking to people. My co-workers were fun and friendly. The hardest part of the job would be the fact that I had to walk to all the Halls of Residences and back to Uni to get more people at least 7 times in 3 hours.

Fun workplace

A typical day at work consisted of us volunteers turning up to the venue and getting briefed on what the day consisted of, who is doing what and also how long this task should be carried out. I learnt that self management will affect how the programme is run, if you don't complete your job on time, there will be repercussions.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Early Hours

Bridging the gap

We were ambassadors for Pasifika Engineering students who talk to high school students about taking that step to study engineering. My co-workers and I managed to persuade some people who were unsure of what career pathway to take up engineering as a career. The hardest part of the job was trying to attract females into thinking about studying engineering because it's such a male dominated industry and so they often found it intimidating. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new faces and getting to know each others background and culture a bit more and also seeing why they wanted to pursue engineering as their career.

Pros

Meeting new people

Cons

Short amount of time allocated to meet people

Pleasant place to work

I enjoyed my work at the University and my co-workers were friendly and welcoming. I did however wish there was more opportunity to grow and find more challenging positions.

Pros

Pleasant non-stressful work

Cons

long hours and 6 day a week work routine

Not great

The university of Auckland was an employer that was not interested in creating a happy workplace or competitive wages. They were unwilling to compromise with staff.

Voluntary University Commitee

In 2015 I was the committee's publicity officer. This involved designing and creating posters for our events and for advertising, as well as distributing them through out the university. This would generally take a day or two, including adjustments and changes suggested by the rest of the committee. This year I am one of five in the industry group. This involves us communicating with businesses and looking for potential sponsors. The most enjoyable part of being apart of the executive committee is working with a great group of people, and meeting new people both from University and companies through our events.

Pros

Meeting new people and communicating with companies

Cons

Not a full time job

University of Auckland

I had the experience of excellent senior management support and trust to execute several projects within the Student Administration body of the University of Auckland over 4 years. I learnt confidence in my strengths and ability to execute professionally, excellently and extensively for the pride and purposes of the director I worked for and flourised immenesely. The most enjoyable part I enjoyed was exercising my authority effectively, responsibly and purposesfully for my contractual obligations and employer that gave me incredible self job satisfaction.

Pros

Senior management support and confidence

Cons

Bureaucracy, red tape and some conflicting personalities

skilled

As a Laboratory technician I was responsible for the performing analysis of diary products, mainly in the RG department. My tasks and duties include: • Fat content analysis on dried and pre-dried milk and cheese products using RG, SBR and free fat methods • Data entry on results and requests from dryers • Retest and confirm out-of-spec results • Laboratoyr equipment calibration and maintenance • Under go auditing

Pros

team work

Cons

self-explorer

Great job when trying to balance work and life together.

Was able to study full time and work full time and nothing was influenced badly. I could work from home so that was a plus. Great management. I learnt the importance of time management and completing tasks well and on time.

studying workplace

-tutoring math twice a week in the located schedule -respond the emails and answer the enquiries from the students -pass the advice from the students to the lecturer

Friendly working environment

You get to meet different cultures in the work place, learning new things from students from the different countries, Management is very flexible with all co workers when it come to decision making management lets all co workers know if there is last minute changes in roosters or schedules. We've had a very supportive management team which is good for the company.

Pros

Meeting different Cultures from different countries

Cons

Nothing really

Engineering lifestyle

A typical day includes lectures, studying and relaxing. I spend between 3 - 8 hours at university at either lectures or libraries working on engineering based courses. I have learned about the intricacies of engineering in practice and find it very difficult. Although it is difficult due to the workload, I am motivated to succeed. I enjoy the environment engineering studies provide for me at Auckland university.

Learning with room for growth in a supportive environment

My first job as "staff" at the University. The University system takes a bit of getting used to and is very different from the consulting world that I am accustomed to. University overheads are a killer, but I have found my feet. The most enjoyable part of the job is inter-disciplinary liaison to develop and deliver services to improve primary health care. A lot of opportunity for networking, learning and the potential for advancement. I have a great boss.

Pros

Flexible work environment

Cons

The bureaucracy associated with working in a University environment

puzzle solving place

Enjoyment in solving puzzles with a bit of exercise in the morning hours daily. I love to work here as in the morning my trolley would be ready for me and I just need to arrange all the books accordingly and then search for its place in the racks and place them. I am proud in my job of keeping the books well managed for the easy access of the students.

Excellent Work Atmosphere and Ample of Learning

Learned a lot of things working with this company. International Exposure was there while working with people across the world.

Pros

Free meals with transport

Cons

Not Any

Enjoyable workplace

I would review all communications that are delivered internally and externally to promote our specific department. I always devise strategic ways to build brand recognition and awareness. Learnt alot about development of marketing strategies online and offline. I've moved into a senior management role, which I'm enjoying the career progression and experience. Co-workers are awesome, we all have great conversation and they'll all supportive. Hardest part of my job is that I don't like the idea of not having any more career progression from my role within the organisation. Most enjoyable part is the variety of responsibilities which helps me cover and learn a lot.

Pros

Flexible hours

Great experience

It was a very supportive environment to work in. Worked well in a team. Enjoyed meeting new people. We were trained well.

teamwork

Our responsibility is provide guidance and support through giving new students tips and let them know about the different events and activities on campus, organise answering or following up on any questions they might have I learned how to handle problem effectively and work under pressure

Satisfying and learned a lot

Most of the jobs I hold was during my undergraduate or postgraduate years. So I had the flexibility to work whenever I am free. I have learned time management and organisational skills.Being part of a well-known institution, the team and management were very professional and fun. Hardest part of the job was as a demonstrator, I had to help the students out with their work and it was difficult at times to teach and answer their questions. However, it was satisfying when the students understood whatever you have taught them.

Excellent

The University of Auckland provides excellent infrastructure and support for conducting rally high quality research. The principal investigators working here are excellent and are veterans in their field of research. Working in such a world class institute not only improves your knowledge in your research field but also made you capable for undertaking good research.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Auckland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Auckland