University of Canterbury
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Canterbury Employee Reviews

Student friendly and diverse environment with best facilities and faculties.The authority is committed in equipping every student with relevant knowledge and skills.
UC was a great place to work with a team of contractors who were regarded highly amongst permanant staff members. The introduction of new technology to a large group had it's challenges, however the Change management process enabled the project to be succssful.
My typical day at the University of Canterbury is always filled with brainwork activities starting with a planning of teaching or tutorial for the week.
My teamwork skills have been nourished. Management is very supportive. Explaining to students is fun. I provide dedicated service and punctual. Diverse culture from different backgrounds. Seniors staff help junior staff to Sattel down.
Friendly staffs and professional workplace. Getting to meet different lectures and learn new topics every time. I certainly enjoyed to be able to assist the lecturers by providing guidance to undergraduate students.
Pros
Get to demonstrator experiment procedures.
Cons
Non
I was involved typically in helping student to understand the theory of a particular subject which then was followed by conducting an experiment. Overall, it was a great learning experience to teach students from diverse backgrounds.
Pros
Reasonable hourly rates
Cons
Few working hours
My job as Library Assistant was a part time while completing my Master's degree at the University of Canterbury. I was a team member of the night shift team, so the work pace was quite slow. The work environment was nice and friendly. Our manager gave us some autonomy in how we performed our duties. Overall, it was an ok part time job, but it was not the direction I wanted to move my career forward.
I was studying towards my MBA but at the end decided finishing without the final project. I believe the actual work experience was mainly better than the project.
The work pattern at the University of Canterbury is productive and interesting as I enjoy engaging with the students on current and real-live events in the society and organisations which are related to most of their topics. I enjoy teaching at the University of Canterbury because of the need to be updated with current issues globally. The most enjoyable part of it is that the students are quite engaging. I do not see any boring moment in my teaching at the university because it is something I personally enjoy doing.
Organizing staff over 7 different areas. I learnt to juggle staff fairly around all areas in times of absences. I learnt a lot about different back grounds and personalities. I was a health and Safety rep for 3 years. I was getting trained for the Team Leaders position.
I have been leading workshops in ICT applied to language teaching and engaged in the teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language (full time) at the University of Canterbury. The workplace culture is good and the only drawback I might see is actually outside work since this city might not offer everything you could wish for (after the earthquake the city centre is still being rebuilt). The most fun part of my job is certainly the job itself, I love teaching and enthusing students. Numbers have grown at the Department of Spanish at Uni Canterbury since I started working with them which I am extremely happy about.
As a member of UC Host, have assisted in organising events for University. Learned leadership and management skills in organising and by interacting with different people.
Productive and fun. Relaxed with the options to do wonderful hikes across the country during the holidays. No cut-throat competition with friendly collaborations with other departments.
Typical day meeting demands of Director and ensuring support to other managers. Learnt that an office that has unresolved issues can be a hinderance on work productivity. Director support wonderful as well as other managers. Hardest part of job dealing with staff and most enjoyable working with Capital Projects Manager who had same work culture as I did.
Pros
benefits to study
Cons
uncertainty facing rentrenchment
Giving to me more chance to interact with more international friends and getting to know more cultures to improve myself so I can achieve more knowledge
One of the best New Zealand universities. 1. Competitive place; 2. A good studying and working environment; 3. A mixture of emotions; 4. Multicultural.
Very exciting to join in UC as a TA. As a TA, I have to give some presentation in seminar to students. Helping students to structure their knowledge makes me feel very happy and confident. The hardest part is the first time I came to be a speaker in the front. But, with a good preparation, it turns into the most interesting part.
Pros
Some Free Lunch
Cons
Part time job.
my work is vacuuming ,health safety, polishing ,dusting , cleaning all area very hygienic , flexible and be able work at a fast pace . reporting any defective equipment or safety concerns to the cleaning supervisor I work well busy and demanding environment
Pros
Cons
4am to7am
My field of research was human-computer interface focusing on “Intelligence Tutoring System using EER-Tutor”. I had experience in the “Slip” programming language.
As I have worked in a dairy store, Every day is quite the same. Customer service, sales, Retail etc. I worked 20 hours per week. and on vacation more than 50 hours per week.
Pros
Free Luch
Cons
I'd like to recommend all of the student at least try to apply summer scholarship. Professor and supervisors are friendly. Facility is excellent. Great experience there.