University of Otago Employee Reviews

University of Otago -
Customer Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dunedin North, Otago29 February 2016
Early start of 7.30am this was to have keys to building available for Trade Staff so they could get an early start on jobs before staff and students arrived for the day. Needed a strong knowledge base on what buildings and what departments are within each building as key are issued by numbers only as a security measure.

Process Requests from Departments for work required on buildings we received up to around 150 per day I needed a strong knowledge base on what trade to send it too, if it was an Urgent requirement. Should the request be sent to facilities manager as the cost maybe over $500.

Management pretty good

Co-workers great team

Dealing with people (staff) when there was someone in their park (it costs a lot of money to have a reserved carpark or someone (students) being towed due to parking in someones park.
Pros
Excellent Salary
A place for international-grade learning
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, New Zealand25 May 2018
I had an amazing work-life balance, with supervisors and laboratory scientists that aim to teach undergraduates to become a better researcher in almost every way.
A wonderful workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin12 June 2015
I specialised in providing exemplary customer service. I learnt how to use 2 very complicated data bases full of confidential library patron information.

The hardest part of the job was that there was always something new to learn, what there was to learn was always changing, and I knew I was on a temporary contract that might not be renewed. It wasn't.

Getting to spend my days at the University of Otago was the best part of this job. Wonderful people, fantastic surroundings, and all the benefits of going to open lectures and spending lunchtimes in the gardens.
Enjoyable part time job
Sub warden (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago9 April 2018
Involved plive-in pastoral support for first year university students alongside my own studies. Grew in leadership, time management and organisational abilities.
Located in a very beautiful city
ICT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago6 April 2018
Life here is relaxing and people are nice. Employees are respected and your work is appreciated by your colleagues. Employers are willing to support your continued education.
A fantastic professional work setting that encourages research and teamwork
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunedin16 November 2012
A typical work day would involve independent research, that may involved a practical lab component or analysing published literature. At this working institution I have learnt a large portion of my technical expertise and expanded my working knowledge of sciences. The management was fantastic with, great staff members in administration and excellent supervisors. Co-workers are professional and sociable, in an environment that encourages forward thinking and teamwork. The hardest component was also the most enjoyable part of the job, working independently on a project that may not be well published or understood, but grasping an understanding to the project through peer mediation and research gives a sense of satisfaction.
Pros
a team work driven environment
Cons
some long hours
Fun work place, friendly people and work life balance exists
Assistant Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury19 December 2017
Everyday in research is different. The work varies depending on the project and you are learning new skills everyday. Typically you plan an experiment, execute the experiment, analyse the experiment and write a paper on the experiment. You lean to also manage your time, people and resources. The nicest part of the job is the excitement of doing research and science and discovering something new. The hardest part is to have to deal with the failure of an experiment.
dental technician
Dental Technician (Former Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago4 March 2018
great place to work and learn new skills.

This was my first role in the health industry and taught me so much on safe work practices.

Staff were great
Excellent experience
visiting research intern on the topic (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago20 December 2017
Being visiting researcher at Uni otago twice was an amazing experience. Got an opportunity to work under excellent supervisors. Had amazing exposure to work in laboratory as well as working in clinic with patients. Did large amount to research and development work s well independently as well as team work. Gained a lot of computer knowledge.
A bit of a Tower of Babel
Web developer (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago14 May 2016
There tends to be lots of turf wars and intrigues. It's a big ship and takes a lot of time to reach decision and implement changes.

In fairness, that's pretty typical of all big government/bureaucratic organisations. So I wouldn't hold it against the University.

One unusual thing is that it's a very decentralised institution. Power really reside with each HOD and the core management structure can have difficulty normalising processes and decision making across the University.

If you're considering a job at the University of Otago, take the time to research the culture of the department you'll be working in as this can very quite a lot. Some departments are really easy going, while other are very formal and up-tight.
Pros
Good pay, relatively easy going in most departments, Dunedin is a comfortable city to live in
Cons
A bit of bureaucratic mess, not very challenging
Fulfilling hard work.
Producer/Student (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, New Zealand22 January 2015
During my final year at University i had the opportunity to produce an album of a local band. Through this experience i learnt about the recording studio environment and how to time manage myself as well as the band and the engineer. Learning the ins and outs of the music industry trade while also gaining hands on experience was a experience i will never forget. Working long hours under time restraints and having to get the best out of all involved was my job as manager and i thrived on the situation. Finishing the album with a happy team was well worth the late nights and stress that came with the opportunity.
Pros
Hands on experience, recording studio understanding
Typical institution everyone and everything is monitored but made some nice friends and workmates
Financial manager (Former Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago28 September 2016
Typical day at work was to greet your co-workers talk to your immediate colleagues about work related matters.
Learnt how to communicate with people and staff at the time and maintain a good repore with those around you, learnt to read what management expected of you and to achieve those goals.
Learnt to mix with co-workers and work as a team.
Hardest part of the job was to deal with changes in academic management and maintaining the research contracts, to their expectations.
Most enjoyable part of the job was making friendships with my colleagues.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere most days
Cons
sometimes difficult to get leave
Good vocation but watch out for managers with bruised egos
IT computer consultant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin11 October 2012
The area I worked in (ITS) was great for the technical challenges and the good work colleagues. It is constantly evolving. The three downsides are: little chance for advancement as the job structure is such that each position does not naturally lead to another higher position; the training (when provided) in gear only for the company's own requirements with no consideration to your personal industry development; the HR structure is such that they will support a manager over a staff member even where there is evidence to the contrary - they act as judge, jury and executioner with no reffective rghts of appeal (within the system).
Needs bringing into the 21st century
Champion of Research Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Otago28 September 2016
There is significant room for improvement - compared to experience in other organisations. I have the feeling that the University, as the biggest employer in town, has not had to expend much effort on improving its operations. A huge review of business processes is under way, this may provide the impetus to step up into the 21st Century.
Pros
Hours are very flexible; in my case: significant freedom on how to approach my tasks
Cons
For many general staff: Flat career structures, low max salaries, 20th century systems with high transactional load, performance systems are less transparent than in other places I have worked
productive
Lab demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago7 November 2017
Ph.D. is the hardest and most interesting part of my study at Otago. The lab environment is encouraging and the supervisor is an intellectual and very helpful person. I have learned new techniques and developed a scope towards the field of research I have undertaken.
Pros
good faculty and tea room for relaxation
Research, Analysis and Administration
Head Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, New Zealand11 October 2013
- Administration based tasks, computer, filing, scanning, photocopying, communicating with students and academic staff, management meetings, managing junior staff, research based tasks such as running participants, preparing project materials, analysis of data
- Management of staff, preparing for meetings, working as a team, tight deadlines
- Great team environment with hard working co-workers
- None, enjoyed every aspect of the job
- Working with an enthusiastic team and helping students.
Pros
Great team environment doing interesting research
Productive and fun workplace
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Dunedin9 October 2017
Nice people, great place to work. Excellent culture of hard work fostered in the students and displayed by the hierarchy. Being a good example to students as important as teaching.
Simple casual work
Note taker (Former Employee) –  University of Otago Dunedin13 November 2017
I was always kindly greeted by administration staff when I went in to scan and deliver notes. They were very helpful if I had any issues with using the printers.
Pros
Helpful staff
Cons
Low pay for notes delivered
Fun brand to be part of
Accounts Receivable Officer (Former Employee) –  Rotorua30 September 2014
Typical day would depend on the amount of customers that arrive on site.
As Duty Manager and Accounts Assistant had to manage time effectively between each job role and demands of customers.
Accounts assistant role was to manage and process daily creditors and debtors with in the in house accounting package.
Daily cash up and reconciling of funds received
Preparations of time sheets and wages for processing.
maintain and manage individual , group and conference bookings
Best part of job was working within the tourist industry as you meet a variety of people form all parts of the globe and walks of life.
Being part of team who created good memories from a unique tourist attraction.
Pros
Working with Tourism
Cons
long and physical demand hours
Great experience for a student!
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago21 September 2017
Demonstrating is a fantastic way for students to gain experience in teaching and higher education systems. UoOtago and its staff provided an ideal environment for postgraduate students to test their teaching/tutoring skills alongside their peer and superiors.