University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Otago Employee Reviews

Lots of work, but highly rewarding.
I am a full-time student working part-time for the university. I am relatively well-respected by my colleagues and the students I teach alike – with each hall of residence varying. They have set pay scales for each level of education (eg. undergraduate, graduate, masters) for hourly tutoring pay. Undergraduate is ~$19p/h for preparation and delivery of tutorial.
Extremely easy to get a long with people and company culture.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Small town
The department had a terrible culture
The department had a terrible culture. The staff organizing the labs were great but any higher up and there was a culture of gossip and belittling as soon as someone turned their back. Not uncommon to see people reduced to tear by supervisors.
Fun workplace
You are paid by your degree.
The salary is different between different degrees.

Great place to work there.

Feeling good in teaching young fresh guys.

Time is flexible.
nice workplace for hourly student worker
Tutored/worked as a teaching assistant at the university and it was an overall very enjoyable experience. Competitive pay compared to much more menial jobs.
The Marketing Department
My experience has been terrible working for the school. The school keeps sending out offers to students it knows it wont accept. They just want to increase the pool of students so they make sure they have enough money. The school is terrible at ethics and I feel bullied and underappreciated all the time. There has been so much turn over and people leaving because of the new management system. The school treatment of students has caused over-drinking among the students causing one alcoholic-related death. The marketing director that It would help with the marketing.
Excellent work culture
My experience as a PhD researcher at the University of Otago has been wonderful. They have a very relaxed and friendly environment. I would highly recommend this University to any prospective student/ researcher.
Just another job.
Ridiculously stressful with twice the workload I signed up for with no appreciation.

The only thing that made it worth it until it lasted was my passion for Science and even that couldn't save it.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Otago?
Good for independent workers
If you are a real self-starter and happy to make things work for yourself and your students, this university can be a good fit. There is a lot of freedom to design your job.
Pros
Intellectual freedom
Cons
University beaurocracy and red tape
Balance of work and fun
Balance of work and fun. The job environment is very professional but friendly. Also, there is a mixture of different international cultures that is awesome.
Excellent balance of work life balance i addition to management of research. This work has allowed me to grow and enhance my research skills to develop innovative research thinking.
Fun
Since it was only now and then the job was actually really fun and id love to do something like that again in the future. All employers were more than chirpy which made it a good area to work in.
Productive workplace
Otago University was a good employer, the staff were really nice that I encountered and the environment was good. For my tutoring positions, for the work I had to put in the money was not particularly good.
A very toxic work environment
DO NOT WORK HERE

The ratings/reviews for the University of Otago on this site are quite unbelievable. It's almost as if the University's HR/Marketing teams have populated it with favourable reviews as part of a team bonding exercise. The only thing stopping this was being 100% accurate is that the University doesn't do team building exercises because that would imply they actually cared about their workforce, which they don't.

The University of Otago is a very toxic environment where staff moral is at rock bottom. Management straight out lie to staff and they essentially have 3 plans. 1 - oppose all liquor licenses for pubs in the area and once the site is available, buy the lease for the property and turn it into a study space....then wonder why students booze up at home. 2 - Install CCTV camera on campus and on public streets not owned by the University so they can spy on students doing things they would have normally done in pubs, but because they've all closed are now done at flats. 3 - Promote the University of Otago as a destination for Health Science....even to people who aren't interested in these study options, or to people who stand absolutely no chance of getting into their preferred course such as medicine...why do this? Easy, because if they told them what preparation they really needed, the University wouldn't fill up their BSc courses with lots of rejected Health Science Students.

I worked at Otago for a decade...10 years of essentially zero professional development, constantly being asked to cut costs yet deliver more, watched as Management across
 - more...
Pros
There are other university's/organisations you can work for so you don't need to work at Otago
Cons
the list is too long, but an absolutely disgraceful HR team is a good place to start
Very fun workplace
A nice pleasant environment to work in, with very outgoing and enthusiastic workmates and students. This job greatly enhances my social and communication skills.
Pros
Access to staff rooms and events
A place for international-grade learning
I had an amazing work-life balance, with supervisors and laboratory scientists that aim to teach undergraduates to become a better researcher in almost every way.
Enjoyable part time job
Involved plive-in pastoral support for first year university students alongside my own studies. Grew in leadership, time management and organisational abilities.
Located in a very beautiful city
Life here is relaxing and people are nice. Employees are respected and your work is appreciated by your colleagues. Employers are willing to support your continued education.
dental technician
great place to work and learn new skills.

This was my first role in the health industry and taught me so much on safe work practices.

Staff were great
Excellent experience
Being visiting researcher at Uni otago twice was an amazing experience. Got an opportunity to work under excellent supervisors. Had amazing exposure to work in laboratory as well as working in clinic with patients. Did large amount to research and development work s well independently as well as team work. Gained a lot of computer knowledge.
Fun work place, friendly people and work life balance exists
Everyday in research is different. The work varies depending on the project and you are learning new skills everyday. Typically you plan an experiment, execute the experiment, analyse the experiment and write a paper on the experiment. You lean to also manage your time, people and resources. The nicest part of the job is the excitement of doing research and science and discovering something new. The hardest part is to have to deal with the failure of an experiment.