University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
View all University of Otago reviews

University of Otago

University of Otago Employee Review

A place for international-grade learning

I had an amazing work-life balance, with supervisors and laboratory scientists that aim to teach undergraduates to become a better researcher in almost every way.

Same roleSame location

Excellent work culture

My experience as a PhD researcher at the University of Otago has been wonderful. They have a very relaxed and friendly environment. I would highly recommend this University to any prospective student/ researcher.
Same role

Needs bringing into the 21st century

There is significant room for improvement - compared to experience in other organisations. I have the feeling that the University, as the biggest employer in town, has not had to expend much effort on improving its operations. A huge review of business processes is under way, this may provide the impetus to step up into the 21st Century.

Pros

Hours are very flexible; in my case: significant freedom on how to approach my tasks

Cons

For many general staff: Flat career structures, low max salaries, 20th century systems with high transactional load, performance systems are less transparent than in other places I have worked
Same location

PhD student

I worked as a teaching assistant and PhD student in Dunedin, Otago. Depending on the department, the culture is different. salaries for PhD and PostDocs are good and fair. However, job security after graduation is an issue. The administration workflow is amazing. Very smooth and quick in responses.
  • University of Otago
  • A place for international-grade learning