University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Otago Employee Reviews in Dunedin, Otago

Dunedin, Otago40 reviews
I worked as a teaching assistant and PhD student in Dunedin, Otago. Depending on the department, the culture is different. salaries for PhD and PostDocs are good and fair. However, job security after graduation is an issue. The administration workflow is amazing. Very smooth and quick in responses.
I am a full-time student working part-time for the university. I am relatively well-respected by my colleagues and the students I teach alike – with each hall of residence varying. They have set pay scales for each level of education (eg. undergraduate, graduate, masters) for hourly tutoring pay. Undergraduate is ~$19p/h for preparation and delivery of tutorial.
Extremely easy to get a long with people and company culture.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Small town
The department had a terrible culture. The staff organizing the labs were great but any higher up and there was a culture of gossip and belittling as soon as someone turned their back. Not uncommon to see people reduced to tear by supervisors.
You are paid by your degree. The salary is different between different degrees. Great place to work there. Feeling good in teaching young fresh guys. Time is flexible.
Tutored/worked as a teaching assistant at the university and it was an overall very enjoyable experience. Competitive pay compared to much more menial jobs.
My experience has been terrible working for the school. The school keeps sending out offers to students it knows it wont accept. They just want to increase the pool of students so they make sure they have enough money. The school is terrible at ethics and I feel bullied and underappreciated all the time. There has been so much turn over and people leaving because of the new management system. The school treatment of students has caused over-drinking among the students causing one alcoholic-related death. The marketing director that It would help with the marketing.
My experience as a PhD researcher at the University of Otago has been wonderful. They have a very relaxed and friendly environment. I would highly recommend this University to any prospective student/ researcher.
Excellent balance of work life balance i addition to management of research. This work has allowed me to grow and enhance my research skills to develop innovative research thinking.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Otago?
Otago University was a good employer, the staff were really nice that I encountered and the environment was good. For my tutoring positions, for the work I had to put in the money was not particularly good.
DO NOT WORK HERE The ratings/reviews for the University of Otago on this site are quite unbelievable. It's almost as if the University's HR/Marketing teams have populated it with favourable reviews as part of a team bonding exercise. The only thing stopping this was being 100% accurate is that the University doesn't do team building exercises because that would imply they actually cared about their workforce, which they don't. The University of Otago is a very toxic environment where staff moral is at rock bottom. Management straight out lie to staff and they essentially have 3 plans. 1 - oppose all liquor licenses for pubs in the area and once the site is available, buy the lease for the property and turn it into a study space....then wonder why students booze up at home. 2 - Install CCTV camera on campus and on public streets not owned by the University so they can spy on students doing things they would have normally done in pubs, but because they've all closed are now done at flats. 3 - Promote the University of Otago as a destination for Health Science....even to people who aren't interested in these study options, or to people who stand absolutely no chance of getting into their preferred course such as medicine...why do this? Easy, because if they told them what preparation they really needed, the University wouldn't fill up their BSc courses with lots of rejected Health Science Students. I worked at Otago for a decade...10 years of essentially zero professional development, constantly being asked to cut costs yet deliver more, watched as Management across - more...
Pros
There are other university's/organisations you can work for so you don't need to work at Otago
Cons
the list is too long, but an absolutely disgraceful HR team is a good place to start
I had an amazing work-life balance, with supervisors and laboratory scientists that aim to teach undergraduates to become a better researcher in almost every way.
Involved plive-in pastoral support for first year university students alongside my own studies. Grew in leadership, time management and organisational abilities.
Being visiting researcher at Uni otago twice was an amazing experience. Got an opportunity to work under excellent supervisors. Had amazing exposure to work in laboratory as well as working in clinic with patients. Did large amount to research and development work s well independently as well as team work. Gained a lot of computer knowledge.
I was always kindly greeted by administration staff when I went in to scan and deliver notes. They were very helpful if I had any issues with using the printers.
Pros
Helpful staff
Cons
Low pay for notes delivered
Ph.D. is the hardest and most interesting part of my study at Otago. The lab environment is encouraging and the supervisor is an intellectual and very helpful person. I have learned new techniques and developed a scope towards the field of research I have undertaken.
Pros
good faculty and tea room for relaxation
Nice people, great place to work. Excellent culture of hard work fostered in the students and displayed by the hierarchy. Being a good example to students as important as teaching.
Demonstrating is a fantastic way for students to gain experience in teaching and higher education systems. UoOtago and its staff provided an ideal environment for postgraduate students to test their teaching/tutoring skills alongside their peer and superiors.
Great place to work with great people in a great location. really enjoyable and really easy to get to know people. A high level of research facility with a lot of facilities
Very relaxing job. Very good pay. Most enjoyable part of job is to help students with computer tasks. Hardest part of job is to meet deadlines when marking students' assignments.
Flexible with my academic workload. Great place to interact between students and lecturers. Able to express ideas and concerns associated with the workload.
Pros
establishing a connection between students and lecturers
Cons
no payment