University of Otago

University of Otago Employee Reviews in Dunedin, Otago

Productive Workplace
Class Representative (Former Employee) –  Dunedin,11 November 2015
Flexible hours, a fun and flexible environment. All while surrounded by like minded people. Students and lecturers alike are aware who I am due to my position.
Pros
Free snacks, being a student representative
Cons
Fast moving and efficient cooks. slow dishwashers
Kitchen hand (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago3 November 2015
A typical shift would be come in, get changed in a small changing room, walk through to the kitchen area ad start washing pots and other kitchen equipment for the next 5 or 6 hours.
Pros
Sometimes we could take home uneaten professionally cooked food.
Cons
work tended to be boring and never had a end.
Study and work
Tutor (part time) (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, New Zealand15 October 2015
Tutoring was a great job to have while completing my Thesis. in my final masters year.

Took four classes a week, class preparation for what and how i would present the learning material and make it accessible and interesting for students. Classes were an hour long and highly interactive.

Best part was inspiring students and generating debate and discussion in class. Seeing good results in presentations and essays.

Worst part was balancing marking several hundred assignments with writing Thesis and other part time job.

Great leadership from professors I had previously been a student under.
Good place to work, wide range of people
Outlet Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunedin15 October 2015
Typical day is setting up the Outlets in the food court for lunch service, count and prepare tills while organising team duties.

Get to interact with many different people and work with a fun crew.

Management is always helpful.

Hardest part of the job is seeing food go to waste.
Pros
Free food if left over
Cons
Not many opportunities for breaks
A wonderful workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin12 June 2015
I specialised in providing exemplary customer service. I learnt how to use 2 very complicated data bases full of confidential library patron information.

The hardest part of the job was that there was always something new to learn, what there was to learn was always changing, and I knew I was on a temporary contract that might not be renewed. It wasn't.

Getting to spend my days at the University of Otago was the best part of this job. Wonderful people, fantastic surroundings, and all the benefits of going to open lectures and spending lunchtimes in the gardens.
Great University
Student (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S20 April 2015
An awesome university with great staff and state of the arc study facilities. University of Otago equips students with the skills and ability to take their place in the world.
Great research experience!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin8 March 2015
A great place to work in research! Carefully choose your topic, professor and department, and it will surely be rewarding!
Fulfilling hard work.
Producer/Student (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, New Zealand22 January 2015
During my final year at University i had the opportunity to produce an album of a local band. Through this experience i learnt about the recording studio environment and how to time manage myself as well as the band and the engineer. Learning the ins and outs of the music industry trade while also gaining hands on experience was a experience i will never forget. Working long hours under time restraints and having to get the best out of all involved was my job as manager and i thrived on the situation. Finishing the album with a happy team was well worth the late nights and stress that came with the opportunity.
Pros
Hands on experience, recording studio understanding
Productive fun workplace
Masters Student (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S17 January 2015
As a post-graduate student based in the Department of Marine Science, I was surrounded by like-minded professionals and students. This provided a great atmosphere in which to study, grow and complete my thesis.
Very fun environment & culturally exciting
Study supervisor & mentor (Former Employee) –  University of Otago, Dunedin13 November 2014
It is fun to work with students from all different cultures. I have learned how to be helpful and be responsible, managed time between study, family and work, and receive massive help and support from co-workers if need to. I enjoy the job because I get to help and often support younger students with any issues regarding study. I provide support with good understanding of being a student myself.
Pros
free coffee, food and especially fruits everyday.
Productive and fun place to do an internship.
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand13 June 2014
I would go in set up my experiment, have a cup of coffee, and do some research while my experiment was running. I learned a lot about the lungs and how inhalant drugs worked. The hardest part of my job was figuring out what to do for my next experiment. The most enjoyable part was the people that surrounded me and working in the lab.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
No pay
Stimulating learning and teaching environment.
Tutor and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunedin,11 December 2013
It has been great experience in teaching. I have realy enjoyed it and look forward to furthering my teaching experience.
Research, Analysis and Administration
Head Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, New Zealand11 October 2013
- Administration based tasks, computer, filing, scanning, photocopying, communicating with students and academic staff, management meetings, managing junior staff, research based tasks such as running participants, preparing project materials, analysis of data
- Management of staff, preparing for meetings, working as a team, tight deadlines
- Great team environment with hard working co-workers
- None, enjoyed every aspect of the job
- Working with an enthusiastic team and helping students.
Pros
Great team environment doing interesting research
Good Place to work
Sterile Services Tech (Current Employee) –  Dunedin8 March 2013
Good place with supportive co-workers. Good breaks, flexible hours, best part socialising with students, worst having to leave. learnt alot they paid for me to get my qualification
Interesting and Accommodating
Electronic Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Dunedin23 November 2012
I had the opportunity to be paid to sit in on interesting lectures and actually be paid for it.

The management was very accommodating, and communicated well.
Pros
interesting lectures, decent wages
Cons
short term employment
A fantastic professional work setting that encourages research and teamwork
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunedin16 November 2012
A typical work day would involve independent research, that may involved a practical lab component or analysing published literature. At this working institution I have learnt a large portion of my technical expertise and expanded my working knowledge of sciences. The management was fantastic with, great staff members in administration and excellent supervisors. Co-workers are professional and sociable, in an environment that encourages forward thinking and teamwork. The hardest component was also the most enjoyable part of the job, working independently on a project that may not be well published or understood, but grasping an understanding to the project through peer mediation and research gives a sense of satisfaction.
Pros
a team work driven environment
Cons
some long hours
Good vocation but watch out for managers with bruised egos
IT computer consultant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin11 October 2012
The area I worked in (ITS) was great for the technical challenges and the good work colleagues. It is constantly evolving. The three downsides are: little chance for advancement as the job structure is such that each position does not naturally lead to another higher position; the training (when provided) in gear only for the company's own requirements with no consideration to your personal industry development; the HR structure is such that they will support a manager over a staff member even where there is evidence to the contrary - they act as judge, jury and executioner with no reffective rghts of appeal (within the system).