University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Otago Employee Reviews in Dunedin, Otago

4.1Work–Life Balance

PhD student

I worked as a teaching assistant and PhD student in Dunedin, Otago. Depending on the department, the culture is different. salaries for PhD and PostDocs are good and fair. However, job security after graduation is an issue. The administration workflow is amazing. Very smooth and quick in responses.

Productive and Accomodating Workplace

A typical work day would consist of sitting at my desk in my office, working away on eVision as students came into my office and stated their courses and why they wished to change their tutorial stream. I learned how to effectively and efficiently use the University of Otago's eVision and how to relate to students. My co-workers were well mannered and down to earth, I was able to have serious discussions with them about matters concerning their tutorials and the streaming of them. The most enjoyable part of the job was relating to the students as they came into my office.

Pros

My own office, flexibility in hours around other commitments.

A bit of a Tower of Babel

There tends to be lots of turf wars and intrigues. It's a big ship and takes a lot of time to reach decision and implement changes. In fairness, that's pretty typical of all big government/bureaucratic organisations. So I wouldn't hold it against the University. One unusual thing is that it's a very decentralised institution. Power really reside with each HOD and the core management structure can have difficulty normalising processes and decision making across the University. If you're considering a job at the University of Otago, take the time to research the culture of the department you'll be working in as this can very quite a lot. Some departments are really easy going, while other are very formal and up-tight.

Pros

Good pay, relatively easy going in most departments, Dunedin is a comfortable city to live in

Cons

A bit of bureaucratic mess, not very challenging

Productive Workplace

Flexible hours, a fun and flexible environment. All while surrounded by like minded people. Students and lecturers alike are aware who I am due to my position.

Pros

Free snacks, being a student representative

Cons

Fast moving and efficient cooks. slow dishwashers

A typical shift would be come in, get changed in a small changing room, walk through to the kitchen area ad start washing pots and other kitchen equipment for the next 5 or 6 hours.

Pros

Sometimes we could take home uneaten professionally cooked food.

Cons

work tended to be boring and never had a end.

Study and work

Tutoring was a great job to have while completing my Thesis. in my final masters year. Took four classes a week, class preparation for what and how i would present the learning material and make it accessible and interesting for students. Classes were an hour long and highly interactive. Best part was inspiring students and generating debate and discussion in class. Seeing good results in presentations and essays. Worst part was balancing marking several hundred assignments with writing Thesis and other part time job. Great leadership from professors I had previously been a student under.

Good place to work, wide range of people

Typical day is setting up the Outlets in the food court for lunch service, count and prepare tills while organising team duties. Get to interact with many different people and work with a fun crew. Management is always helpful. Hardest part of the job is seeing food go to waste.

Pros

Free food if left over

Cons

Not many opportunities for breaks

A wonderful workplace

I specialised in providing exemplary customer service. I learnt how to use 2 very complicated data bases full of confidential library patron information. The hardest part of the job was that there was always something new to learn, what there was to learn was always changing, and I knew I was on a temporary contract that might not be renewed. It wasn't. Getting to spend my days at the University of Otago was the best part of this job. Wonderful people, fantastic surroundings, and all the benefits of going to open lectures and spending lunchtimes in the gardens.

Great University

An awesome university with great staff and state of the arc study facilities. University of Otago equips students with the skills and ability to take their place in the world.

Great research experience!

A great place to work in research! Carefully choose your topic, professor and department, and it will surely be rewarding!

Fulfilling hard work.

During my final year at University i had the opportunity to produce an album of a local band. Through this experience i learnt about the recording studio environment and how to time manage myself as well as the band and the engineer. Learning the ins and outs of the music industry trade while also gaining hands on experience was a experience i will never forget. Working long hours under time restraints and having to get the best out of all involved was my job as manager and i thrived on the situation. Finishing the album with a happy team was well worth the late nights and stress that came with the opportunity.

Pros

Hands on experience, recording studio understanding

Productive fun workplace

As a post-graduate student based in the Department of Marine Science, I was surrounded by like-minded professionals and students. This provided a great atmosphere in which to study, grow and complete my thesis.

Very fun environment & culturally exciting

It is fun to work with students from all different cultures. I have learned how to be helpful and be responsible, managed time between study, family and work, and receive massive help and support from co-workers if need to. I enjoy the job because I get to help and often support younger students with any issues regarding study. I provide support with good understanding of being a student myself.

Pros

free coffee, food and especially fruits everyday.

Productive and fun place to do an internship.

I would go in set up my experiment, have a cup of coffee, and do some research while my experiment was running. I learned a lot about the lungs and how inhalant drugs worked. The hardest part of my job was figuring out what to do for my next experiment. The most enjoyable part was the people that surrounded me and working in the lab.

Pros

Good learning experience

Cons

No pay

Stimulating learning and teaching environment.

It has been great experience in teaching. I have realy enjoyed it and look forward to furthering my teaching experience.

Research, Analysis and Administration

- Administration based tasks, computer, filing, scanning, photocopying, communicating with students and academic staff, management meetings, managing junior staff, research based tasks such as running participants, preparing project materials, analysis of data - Management of staff, preparing for meetings, working as a team, tight deadlines - Great team environment with hard working co-workers - None, enjoyed every aspect of the job - Working with an enthusiastic team and helping students.

Pros

Great team environment doing interesting research

Good Place to work

Good place with supportive co-workers. Good breaks, flexible hours, best part socialising with students, worst having to leave. learnt alot they paid for me to get my qualification

Interesting and Accommodating

I had the opportunity to be paid to sit in on interesting lectures and actually be paid for it.The management was very accommodating, and communicated well.

Pros

interesting lectures, decent wages

Cons

short term employment

A fantastic professional work setting that encourages research and teamwork

A typical work day would involve independent research, that may involved a practical lab component or analysing published literature. At this working institution I have learnt a large portion of my technical expertise and expanded my working knowledge of sciences. The management was fantastic with, great staff members in administration and excellent supervisors. Co-workers are professional and sociable, in an environment that encourages forward thinking and teamwork. The hardest component was also the most enjoyable part of the job, working independently on a project that may not be well published or understood, but grasping an understanding to the project through peer mediation and research gives a sense of satisfaction.

Pros

a team work driven environment

Cons

some long hours

Good vocation but watch out for managers with bruised egos

The area I worked in (ITS) was great for the technical challenges and the good work colleagues. It is constantly evolving. The three downsides are: little chance for advancement as the job structure is such that each position does not naturally lead to another higher position; the training (when provided) in gear only for the company's own requirements with no consideration to your personal industry development; the HR structure is such that they will support a manager over a staff member even where there is evidence to the contrary - they act as judge, jury and executioner with no reffective rghts of appeal (within the system).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Otago. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2