University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Otago Employee Reviews for Researcher

4.1Work–Life Balance

Excellent work culture

My experience as a PhD researcher at the University of Otago has been wonderful. They have a very relaxed and friendly environment. I would highly recommend this University to any prospective student/ researcher.

A place for international-grade learning

I had an amazing work-life balance, with supervisors and laboratory scientists that aim to teach undergraduates to become a better researcher in almost every way.

Needs bringing into the 21st century

There is significant room for improvement - compared to experience in other organisations. I have the feeling that the University, as the biggest employer in town, has not had to expend much effort on improving its operations. A huge review of business processes is under way, this may provide the impetus to step up into the 21st Century.

Pros

Hours are very flexible; in my case: significant freedom on how to approach my tasks

Cons

For many general staff: Flat career structures, low max salaries, 20th century systems with high transactional load, performance systems are less transparent than in other places I have worked

Jobs at University of Otago