University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Otago Employee Reviews for Tutor

4.1Work–Life Balance

Lots of work, but highly rewarding.

I am a full-time student working part-time for the university. I am relatively well-respected by my colleagues and the students I teach alike – with each hall of residence varying. They have set pay scales for each level of education (eg. undergraduate, graduate, masters) for hourly tutoring pay. Undergraduate is ~$19p/h for preparation and delivery of tutorial.

Fun workplace

You are paid by your degree. The salary is different between different degrees. Great place to work there. Feeling good in teaching young fresh guys. Time is flexible.

Balance of work and fun

Balance of work and fun. The job environment is very professional but friendly. Also, there is a mixture of different international cultures that is awesome.

Productive workplace

Otago University was a good employer, the staff were really nice that I encountered and the environment was good. For my tutoring positions, for the work I had to put in the money was not particularly good.

Good for temporary option

Quite difficult to juggle with your own study if you are also a student. Good for temporary work experience. Does not provide full time nor permanent options as need for tutor is dependent on their students needs and requests. Certainly an enjoyable and rewarding job. Learnt how to be a role-model for younger students walking the same foot-path and increased my communication skill.

Study and work

Tutoring was a great job to have while completing my Thesis. in my final masters year. Took four classes a week, class preparation for what and how i would present the learning material and make it accessible and interesting for students. Classes were an hour long and highly interactive. Best part was inspiring students and generating debate and discussion in class. Seeing good results in presentations and essays. Worst part was balancing marking several hundred assignments with writing Thesis and other part time job. Great leadership from professors I had previously been a student under.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Otago. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2