University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Otago Job Security & Advancement reviews

Clear
4.1Work–Life Balance
3.4Job Security & Advancement

PhD student

I worked as a teaching assistant and PhD student in Dunedin, Otago. Depending on the department, the culture is different. salaries for PhD and PostDocs are good and fair. However, job security after graduation is an issue. The administration workflow is amazing. Very smooth and quick in responses.

Extremely easy to get a long with people and company culture.

Pros

Stability

Cons

Small town

Excellent balance of work life balance i addition to management of research. This work has allowed me to grow and enhance my research skills to develop innovative research thinking.

Fun

Since it was only now and then the job was actually really fun and id love to do something like that again in the future. All employers were more than chirpy which made it a good area to work in.

A very toxic work environment

DO NOT WORK HERE The ratings/reviews for the University of Otago on this site are quite unbelievable. It's almost as if the University's HR/Marketing teams have populated it with favourable reviews as part of a team bonding exercise. The only thing stopping this was being 100% accurate is that the University doesn't do team building exercises because that would imply they actually cared about their workforce, which they don't. The University of Otago is a very toxic environment where staff moral is at rock bottom. Management straight out lie to staff and they essentially have 3 plans. 1 - oppose all liquor licenses for pubs in the area and once the site is available, buy the lease for the property and turn it into a study space....then wonder why students booze up at home. 2 - Install CCTV camera on campus and on public streets not owned by the University so they can spy on students doing things they would have normally done in pubs, but because they've all closed are now done at flats. 3 - Promote the University of Otago as a destination for Health Science....even to people who aren't interested in these study options, or to people who stand absolutely no chance of getting into their preferred course such as medicine...why do this? Easy, because if they told them what preparation they really needed, the University wouldn't fill up their BSc courses with lots of rejected Health Science Students. I worked at Otago for a decade...10 years of essentially zero professional development, constantly being asked to cut costs yet deliver more, watched as Management across -

Pros

There are other university's/organisations you can work for so you don't need to work at Otago

Cons

the list is too long, but an absolutely disgraceful HR team is a good place to start

dental technician

great place to work and learn new skills. This was my first role in the health industry and taught me so much on safe work practices. Staff were great

Excellent experience

Being visiting researcher at Uni otago twice was an amazing experience. Got an opportunity to work under excellent supervisors. Had amazing exposure to work in laboratory as well as working in clinic with patients. Did large amount to research and development work s well independently as well as team work. Gained a lot of computer knowledge.

Good for temporary option

Quite difficult to juggle with your own study if you are also a student. Good for temporary work experience. Does not provide full time nor permanent options as need for tutor is dependent on their students needs and requests. Certainly an enjoyable and rewarding job. Learnt how to be a role-model for younger students walking the same foot-path and increased my communication skill.

Needs bringing into the 21st century

There is significant room for improvement - compared to experience in other organisations. I have the feeling that the University, as the biggest employer in town, has not had to expend much effort on improving its operations. A huge review of business processes is under way, this may provide the impetus to step up into the 21st Century.

Pros

Hours are very flexible; in my case: significant freedom on how to approach my tasks

Cons

For many general staff: Flat career structures, low max salaries, 20th century systems with high transactional load, performance systems are less transparent than in other places I have worked

Productive and exciting

Studied my BA in Linguistics and learnt a lot. Gained opportunities and linguistics knowledge I studied from 2008-2010 Worked under stress and duress and took up a lot of papers involving linguistics found my interest in phonetics / phonology and wanted to pursue ever since then.

Jobs at University of Otago

See more jobs

Stimulating learning and teaching environment.

It has been great experience in teaching. I have realy enjoyed it and look forward to furthering my teaching experience.

Interesting and Accommodating

I had the opportunity to be paid to sit in on interesting lectures and actually be paid for it.The management was very accommodating, and communicated well.

Pros

interesting lectures, decent wages

Cons

short term employment

Good vocation but watch out for managers with bruised egos

The area I worked in (ITS) was great for the technical challenges and the good work colleagues. It is constantly evolving. The three downsides are: little chance for advancement as the job structure is such that each position does not naturally lead to another higher position; the training (when provided) in gear only for the company's own requirements with no consideration to your personal industry development; the HR structure is such that they will support a manager over a staff member even where there is evidence to the contrary - they act as judge, jury and executioner with no reffective rghts of appeal (within the system).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Otago. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2