University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Otago Pay & Benefits reviews

Clear
4.1Work–Life Balance
3.8Pay & Benefits

Fun workplace

You are paid by your degree. The salary is different between different degrees. Great place to work there. Feeling good in teaching young fresh guys. Time is flexible.

nice workplace for hourly student worker

Tutored/worked as a teaching assistant at the university and it was an overall very enjoyable experience. Competitive pay compared to much more menial jobs.

A very toxic work environment

DO NOT WORK HERE The ratings/reviews for the University of Otago on this site are quite unbelievable. It's almost as if the University's HR/Marketing teams have populated it with favourable reviews as part of a team bonding exercise. The only thing stopping this was being 100% accurate is that the University doesn't do team building exercises because that would imply they actually cared about their workforce, which they don't. The University of Otago is a very toxic environment where staff moral is at rock bottom. Management straight out lie to staff and they essentially have 3 plans. 1 - oppose all liquor licenses for pubs in the area and once the site is available, buy the lease for the property and turn it into a study space....then wonder why students booze up at home. 2 - Install CCTV camera on campus and on public streets not owned by the University so they can spy on students doing things they would have normally done in pubs, but because they've all closed are now done at flats. 3 - Promote the University of Otago as a destination for Health Science....even to people who aren't interested in these study options, or to people who stand absolutely no chance of getting into their preferred course such as medicine...why do this? Easy, because if they told them what preparation they really needed, the University wouldn't fill up their BSc courses with lots of rejected Health Science Students. I worked at Otago for a decade...10 years of essentially zero professional development, constantly being asked to cut costs yet deliver more, watched as Management across -

Pros

There are other university's/organisations you can work for so you don't need to work at Otago

Cons

the list is too long, but an absolutely disgraceful HR team is a good place to start

University of Otago -

Early start of 7.30am this was to have keys to building available for Trade Staff so they could get an early start on jobs before staff and students arrived for the day. Needed a strong knowledge base on what buildings and what departments are within each building as key are issued by numbers only as a security measure. Process Requests from Departments for work required on buildings we received up to around 150 per day I needed a strong knowledge base on what trade to send it too, if it was an Urgent requirement. Should the request be sent to facilities manager as the cost maybe over $500. Management pretty good Co-workers great team Dealing with people (staff) when there was someone in their park (it costs a lot of money to have a reserved carpark or someone (students) being towed due to parking in someones park.

Pros

Excellent Salary

Productive Workplace

Flexible hours, a fun and flexible environment. All while surrounded by like minded people. Students and lecturers alike are aware who I am due to my position.

Pros

Free snacks, being a student representative

A wonderful workplace

I specialised in providing exemplary customer service. I learnt how to use 2 very complicated data bases full of confidential library patron information. The hardest part of the job was that there was always something new to learn, what there was to learn was always changing, and I knew I was on a temporary contract that might not be renewed. It wasn't. Getting to spend my days at the University of Otago was the best part of this job. Wonderful people, fantastic surroundings, and all the benefits of going to open lectures and spending lunchtimes in the gardens.

Relaxed and enjoyable workplace.

Friendly and pleasant to work with staff in my short term employment.

Good Place to work

Good place with supportive co-workers. Good breaks, flexible hours, best part socialising with students, worst having to leave. learnt alot they paid for me to get my qualification

Interesting and Accommodating

I had the opportunity to be paid to sit in on interesting lectures and actually be paid for it.The management was very accommodating, and communicated well.

Pros

interesting lectures, decent wages

Cons

short term employment

Jobs at University of Otago