University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
University of Otago Employee Review

A fantastic professional work setting that encourages research and teamwork

16 November 2012
A typical work day would involve independent research, that may involved a practical lab component or analysing published literature. At this working institution I have learnt a large portion of my technical expertise and expanded my working knowledge of sciences. The management was fantastic with, great staff members in administration and excellent supervisors. Co-workers are professional and sociable, in an environment that encourages forward thinking and teamwork. The hardest component was also the most enjoyable part of the job, working independently on a project that may not be well published or understood, but grasping an understanding to the project through peer mediation and research gives a sense of satisfaction.
Pros
a team work driven environment
Cons
some long hours
28 April 2020
Research Assistant (Former Employee) - Dunedin, Otago
I worked as a teaching assistant and PhD student in Dunedin, Otago. Depending on the department, the culture is different. salaries for PhD and PostDocs are good and fair. However, job security after graduation is an issue. The administration workflow is amazing. Very smooth and quick in responses.
20 March 2020
Tutor at Residential Halls (Current Employee) - Dunedin, Otago
I am a full-time student working part-time for the university. I am relatively well-respected by my colleagues and the students I teach alike – with each hall of residence varying. They have set pay scales for each level of education (eg. undergraduate, graduate, masters) for hourly tutoring pay. Undergraduate is ~$19p/h for preparation and delivery of tutorial.
17 February 2020
Administrador (Former Employee) - Dunedin, New Zealand
Extremely easy to get a long with people and company culture.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Small town