University of Otago Employee Review

View all University of Otago reviews

Needs bringing into the 21st century
Champion of Research Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Otago28 September 2016
There is significant room for improvement - compared to experience in other organisations. I have the feeling that the University, as the biggest employer in town, has not had to expend much effort on improving its operations. A huge review of business processes is under way, this may provide the impetus to step up into the 21st Century.
Pros
Hours are very flexible; in my case: significant freedom on how to approach my tasks
Cons
For many general staff: Flat career structures, low max salaries, 20th century systems with high transactional load, performance systems are less transparent than in other places I have worked

Other University of Otago Employee Reviews

Just another job.
Assistant Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago28 November 2019
Ridiculously stressful with twice the workload I signed up for with no appreciation.

The only thing that made it worth it until it lasted was my passion for Science and even that couldn't save it.
Good for independent workers
If you are a real self-starter and happy to make things work for yourself and your students, this university can be a good fit. There is a lot of freedom to design your job.
Pros
Intellectual freedom
Cons
University beaurocracy and red tape