University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
University of Otago Employee Review

Fun work place, friendly people and work life balance exists

19 December 2017
Everyday in research is different. The work varies depending on the project and you are learning new skills everyday. Typically you plan an experiment, execute the experiment, analyse the experiment and write a paper on the experiment. You lean to also manage your time, people and resources. The nicest part of the job is the excitement of doing research and science and discovering something new. The hardest part is to have to deal with the failure of an experiment.
28 November 2019
Same role
Assistant Research Fellow (Former Employee) - Dunedin City, Otago
Ridiculously stressful with twice the workload I signed up for with no appreciation.

The only thing that made it worth it until it lasted was my passion for Science and even that couldn't save it.
28 April 2020
Research Assistant (Former Employee) - Dunedin, Otago
I worked as a teaching assistant and PhD student in Dunedin, Otago. Depending on the department, the culture is different. salaries for PhD and PostDocs are good and fair. However, job security after graduation is an issue. The administration workflow is amazing. Very smooth and quick in responses.
20 March 2020
Tutor at Residential Halls (Current Employee) - Dunedin, Otago
I am a full-time student working part-time for the university. I am relatively well-respected by my colleagues and the students I teach alike – with each hall of residence varying. They have set pay scales for each level of education (eg. undergraduate, graduate, masters) for hourly tutoring pay. Undergraduate is ~$19p/h for preparation and delivery of tutorial.