University of Otago Employee Review

View all University of Otago reviews

A wonderful workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin12 June 2015
I specialised in providing exemplary customer service. I learnt how to use 2 very complicated data bases full of confidential library patron information.

The hardest part of the job was that there was always something new to learn, what there was to learn was always changing, and I knew I was on a temporary contract that might not be renewed. It wasn't.

Getting to spend my days at the University of Otago was the best part of this job. Wonderful people, fantastic surroundings, and all the benefits of going to open lectures and spending lunchtimes in the gardens.

Other University of Otago Employee Reviews

Just another job.
Assistant Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago28 November 2019
Ridiculously stressful with twice the workload I signed up for with no appreciation.

The only thing that made it worth it until it lasted was my passion for Science and even that couldn't save it.
Good for independent workers
If you are a real self-starter and happy to make things work for yourself and your students, this university can be a good fit. There is a lot of freedom to design your job.
Pros
Intellectual freedom
Cons
University beaurocracy and red tape