University of Otago Employee Reviews

Typical institution everyone and everything is monitored but made some nice friends and workmates
Financial manager (Former Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago28 September 2016
Typical day at work was to greet your co-workers talk to your immediate colleagues about work related matters.
Learnt how to communicate with people and staff at the time and maintain a good repore with those around you, learnt to read what management expected of you and to achieve those goals.
Learnt to mix with co-workers and work as a team.
Hardest part of the job was to deal with changes in academic management and maintaining the research contracts, to their expectations.
Most enjoyable part of the job was making friendships with my colleagues.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere most days
Cons
sometimes difficult to get leave
Needs bringing into the 21st century
Champion of Research Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Otago28 September 2016
There is significant room for improvement - compared to experience in other organisations. I have the feeling that the University, as the biggest employer in town, has not had to expend much effort on improving its operations. A huge review of business processes is under way, this may provide the impetus to step up into the 21st Century.
Pros
Hours are very flexible; in my case: significant freedom on how to approach my tasks
Cons
For many general staff: Flat career structures, low max salaries, 20th century systems with high transactional load, performance systems are less transparent than in other places I have worked
Productive and Accomodating Workplace
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago23 June 2016
A typical work day would consist of sitting at my desk in my office, working away on eVision as students came into my office and stated their courses and why they wished to change their tutorial stream. I learned how to effectively and efficiently use the University of Otago's eVision and how to relate to students. My co-workers were well mannered and down to earth, I was able to have serious discussions with them about matters concerning their tutorials and the streaming of them. The most enjoyable part of the job was relating to the students as they came into my office.
Pros
My own office, flexibility in hours around other commitments.
A bit of a Tower of Babel
Web developer (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago14 May 2016
There tends to be lots of turf wars and intrigues. It's a big ship and takes a lot of time to reach decision and implement changes.

In fairness, that's pretty typical of all big government/bureaucratic organisations. So I wouldn't hold it against the University.

One unusual thing is that it's a very decentralised institution. Power really reside with each HOD and the core management structure can have difficulty normalising processes and decision making across the University.

If you're considering a job at the University of Otago, take the time to research the culture of the department you'll be working in as this can very quite a lot. Some departments are really easy going, while other are very formal and up-tight.
Pros
Good pay, relatively easy going in most departments, Dunedin is a comfortable city to live in
Cons
A bit of bureaucratic mess, not very challenging
University of Otago -
Customer Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dunedin North, Otago29 February 2016
Early start of 7.30am this was to have keys to building available for Trade Staff so they could get an early start on jobs before staff and students arrived for the day. Needed a strong knowledge base on what buildings and what departments are within each building as key are issued by numbers only as a security measure.

Process Requests from Departments for work required on buildings we received up to around 150 per day I needed a strong knowledge base on what trade to send it too, if it was an Urgent requirement. Should the request be sent to facilities manager as the cost maybe over $500.

Management pretty good

Co-workers great team

Dealing with people (staff) when there was someone in their park (it costs a lot of money to have a reserved carpark or someone (students) being towed due to parking in someones park.
Pros
Excellent Salary
Productive Workplace
Class Representative (Former Employee) –  Dunedin,11 November 2015
Flexible hours, a fun and flexible environment. All while surrounded by like minded people. Students and lecturers alike are aware who I am due to my position.
Pros
Free snacks, being a student representative
Cons
Fast moving and efficient cooks. slow dishwashers
Kitchen hand (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago3 November 2015
A typical shift would be come in, get changed in a small changing room, walk through to the kitchen area ad start washing pots and other kitchen equipment for the next 5 or 6 hours.
Pros
Sometimes we could take home uneaten professionally cooked food.
Cons
work tended to be boring and never had a end.
it was fine
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington2 November 2015
it was fine, I don't understand why I need to review previous workplaces. I enjoyed it, people were nice, was a good place to work
Study and work
Tutor (part time) (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, New Zealand15 October 2015
Tutoring was a great job to have while completing my Thesis. in my final masters year.

Took four classes a week, class preparation for what and how i would present the learning material and make it accessible and interesting for students. Classes were an hour long and highly interactive.

Best part was inspiring students and generating debate and discussion in class. Seeing good results in presentations and essays.

Worst part was balancing marking several hundred assignments with writing Thesis and other part time job.

Great leadership from professors I had previously been a student under.
Good place to work, wide range of people
Outlet Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunedin15 October 2015
Typical day is setting up the Outlets in the food court for lunch service, count and prepare tills while organising team duties.

Get to interact with many different people and work with a fun crew.

Management is always helpful.

Hardest part of the job is seeing food go to waste.
Pros
Free food if left over
Cons
Not many opportunities for breaks
A wonderful workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin12 June 2015
I specialised in providing exemplary customer service. I learnt how to use 2 very complicated data bases full of confidential library patron information.

The hardest part of the job was that there was always something new to learn, what there was to learn was always changing, and I knew I was on a temporary contract that might not be renewed. It wasn't.

Getting to spend my days at the University of Otago was the best part of this job. Wonderful people, fantastic surroundings, and all the benefits of going to open lectures and spending lunchtimes in the gardens.
Great University
Student (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S20 April 2015
An awesome university with great staff and state of the arc study facilities. University of Otago equips students with the skills and ability to take their place in the world.
Great research experience!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin8 March 2015
A great place to work in research! Carefully choose your topic, professor and department, and it will surely be rewarding!
Productive and exciting
Friendly, respectable and motivated teacher (Former Employee) –  Otago,New Zealand25 February 2015
Studied my BA in Linguistics and learnt a lot. Gained opportunities and linguistics knowledge

I studied from 2008-2010

Worked under stress and duress and took up a lot of papers involving linguistics

found my interest in phonetics / phonology and wanted to pursue ever since then.
Fulfilling hard work.
Producer/Student (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, New Zealand22 January 2015
During my final year at University i had the opportunity to produce an album of a local band. Through this experience i learnt about the recording studio environment and how to time manage myself as well as the band and the engineer. Learning the ins and outs of the music industry trade while also gaining hands on experience was a experience i will never forget. Working long hours under time restraints and having to get the best out of all involved was my job as manager and i thrived on the situation. Finishing the album with a happy team was well worth the late nights and stress that came with the opportunity.
Pros
Hands on experience, recording studio understanding
Productive fun workplace
Masters Student (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S17 January 2015
As a post-graduate student based in the Department of Marine Science, I was surrounded by like-minded professionals and students. This provided a great atmosphere in which to study, grow and complete my thesis.
Very fun environment & culturally exciting
Study supervisor & mentor (Former Employee) –  University of Otago, Dunedin13 November 2014
It is fun to work with students from all different cultures. I have learned how to be helpful and be responsible, managed time between study, family and work, and receive massive help and support from co-workers if need to. I enjoy the job because I get to help and often support younger students with any issues regarding study. I provide support with good understanding of being a student myself.
Pros
free coffee, food and especially fruits everyday.
Fun brand to be part of
Accounts Receivable Officer (Former Employee) –  Rotorua30 September 2014
Typical day would depend on the amount of customers that arrive on site.
As Duty Manager and Accounts Assistant had to manage time effectively between each job role and demands of customers.
Accounts assistant role was to manage and process daily creditors and debtors with in the in house accounting package.
Daily cash up and reconciling of funds received
Preparations of time sheets and wages for processing.
maintain and manage individual , group and conference bookings
Best part of job was working within the tourist industry as you meet a variety of people form all parts of the globe and walks of life.
Being part of team who created good memories from a unique tourist attraction.
Pros
Working with Tourism
Cons
long and physical demand hours
Productive and fun place to do an internship.
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand13 June 2014
I would go in set up my experiment, have a cup of coffee, and do some research while my experiment was running. I learned a lot about the lungs and how inhalant drugs worked. The hardest part of my job was figuring out what to do for my next experiment. The most enjoyable part was the people that surrounded me and working in the lab.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
No pay
Relaxed and enjoyable workplace.
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Southland23 February 2014
Friendly and pleasant to work with staff in my short term employment.