University of Otago
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Otago Employee Reviews

New Zealand56 reviews
I worked as a teaching assistant and PhD student in Dunedin, Otago. Depending on the department, the culture is different. salaries for PhD and PostDocs are good and fair. However, job security after graduation is an issue. The administration workflow is amazing. Very smooth and quick in responses.
An awesome university with great staff and state of the arc study facilities. University of Otago equips students with the skills and ability to take their place in the world.
A great place to work in research! Carefully choose your topic, professor and department, and it will surely be rewarding!
Studied my BA in Linguistics and learnt a lot. Gained opportunities and linguistics knowledge

I studied from 2008-2010

Worked under stress and duress and took up a lot of papers involving linguistics

found my interest in phonetics / phonology and wanted to pursue ever since then.
During my final year at University i had the opportunity to produce an album of a local band. Through this experience i learnt about the recording studio environment and how to time manage myself as well as the band and the engineer. Learning the ins and outs of the music industry trade while also gaining hands on experience was a experience i will never forget. Working long hours under time restraints and having to get the best out of all involved was my job as manager and i thrived on the situation. Finishing the album with a happy team was well worth the late nights and stress that came with the opportunity.
Pros
Hands on experience, recording studio understanding
As a post-graduate student based in the Department of Marine Science, I was surrounded by like-minded professionals and students. This provided a great atmosphere in which to study, grow and complete my thesis.
It is fun to work with students from all different cultures. I have learned how to be helpful and be responsible, managed time between study, family and work, and receive massive help and support from co-workers if need to. I enjoy the job because I get to help and often support younger students with any issues regarding study. I provide support with good understanding of being a student myself.
Pros
free coffee, food and especially fruits everyday.
Typical day would depend on the amount of customers that arrive on site.
As Duty Manager and Accounts Assistant had to manage time effectively between each job role and demands of customers.

Accounts assistant role was to manage and process daily creditors and debtors with in the in house accounting package.

Daily cash up and reconciling of funds received

Preparations of time sheets and wages for processing.

maintain and manage individual , group and conference bookings

Best part of job was working within the tourist industry as you meet a variety of people form all parts of the globe and walks of life.

Being part of team who created good memories from a unique tourist attraction.
Pros
Working with Tourism
Cons
long and physical demand hours
I would go in set up my experiment, have a cup of coffee, and do some research while my experiment was running. I learned a lot about the lungs and how inhalant drugs worked. The hardest part of my job was figuring out what to do for my next experiment. The most enjoyable part was the people that surrounded me and working in the lab.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
No pay
Friendly and pleasant to work with staff in my short term employment.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Otago?
It has been great experience in teaching. I have realy enjoyed it and look forward to furthering my teaching experience.
- Administration based tasks, computer, filing, scanning, photocopying, communicating with students and academic staff, management meetings, managing junior staff, research based tasks such as running participants, preparing project materials, analysis of data
- Management of staff, preparing for meetings, working as a team, tight deadlines

- Great team environment with hard working co-workers

- None, enjoyed every aspect of the job

- Working with an enthusiastic team and helping students.
Pros
Great team environment doing interesting research
Cons
Good place with supportive co-workers. Good breaks, flexible hours, best part socialising with students, worst having to leave. learnt alot they paid for me to get my qualification
I had the opportunity to be paid to sit in on interesting lectures and actually be paid for it.

The management was very accommodating, and communicated well.
Pros
interesting lectures, decent wages
Cons
short term employment
A typical work day would involve independent research, that may involved a practical lab component or analysing published literature. At this working institution I have learnt a large portion of my technical expertise and expanded my working knowledge of sciences. The management was fantastic with, great staff members in administration and excellent supervisors. Co-workers are professional and sociable, in an environment that encourages forward thinking and teamwork. The hardest component was also the most enjoyable part of the job, working independently on a project that may not be well published or understood, but grasping an understanding to the project through peer mediation and research gives a sense of satisfaction.
Pros
a team work driven environment
Cons
some long hours
The area I worked in (ITS) was great for the technical challenges and the good work colleagues. It is constantly evolving. The three downsides are: little chance for advancement as the job structure is such that each position does not naturally lead to another higher position; the training (when provided) in gear only for the company's own requirements with no consideration to your personal industry development; the HR structure is such that they will support a manager over a staff member even where there is evidence to the contrary - they act as judge, jury and executioner with no reffective rghts of appeal (within the system).