Unum

Unum Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Good benefits, PTO & work life balance

I am a long time employee of Unum. We have decent benefits (health insurance could be better), great paid time off, good retirement contribution by the company and management strives to help employees to move up within the company (at least in my department).

Great place to work until I got laid off

I really enjoyed working at Unum when I started. it was a lot to learn. There was a great work life balance. I thought it was going to be me my last stop since so many people had longevity. The people that I worked with and the relationships that I forged we great. I am not upset that I got laid off I was sad for a lot of the people that had been there for so many years. We lost our jobs and the work was sent overseas. I am not saying not to work there but if you are an IT professional your job may not be safe. If you work there they offer good pay and benefits.

Pros

The people, culture and work life balance

Cons

Getting laid off

Okay place with low pay

Not the worst place to work. Constant manager changing and no second chances if you goof. I saw a 25 year associate be dragged out over missing just a few things on some claims.

Good Place for Interns

There may be downtime since most managers won't give you work that requires too much skill. You are included in meetings and they do value your input and opinion. Everyone I've met have been friendly and understanding. Unum also puts a lot of emphasis on personal development.

Not for everyone

With the ES role, it is not a job for everyone, as I use to believe. There is significant work that goes into this role, which is more than what they tell you in the interview/job posting. With what I now do within this role I am most certainly not compensated fairly, which leaves a lot to be desired, PTO can be hard to take, and metrics increase anytime improvements for automation are made

Great benefits, more training needed

Overall, Unum pays well and has wonderful benefits. Like many other employers, they need to devote more time to training their employees and advancing their skills.

Pros

Great benefits, good pay.

Cons

Lack of autonomy, training needed.

Poor leadership

Culture is bad and leaves a bit to be desired for sure. Zero work/life balance and no effort to fix the problem. The more you work, the more they expect (but just until they outsource your job). I don’t recommend at all

Depends who you ask

Being remote it’s hard to feel a part of the team. I’m often left trying to figure stuff out on my own because my mentor or a veteran on the team does not answer in a timely manner. Everyone makes jokes and is friendly with one another but when I try and crack a joke it falls on deaf ears.. it’s like if you’re 100% remote you don’t matter. Procedures are not followed by everyone and when you follow the rules to the T you’ll get a message that it’s actually going to be done a whole different way. For an insurance company, their insurance is VERY COSTLY for employees and you pay a lot out of pocket for the insurance and when you go see the doctor, PTO is nice, if you ask questions about yearly raises you don’t hear anything back.. OT was great but when you’re caught up it hurts the pocketbook.

Pros

Pto, Hsa, Remote and Hybrid options

Cons

Healthcare, raises, no OT offered anymore, exclusion at times

A great place to work. Awesome benefits, good opportunity for advancement. Challenging but fulfilling work. Feeling like you truly make a difference in others lives.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Good team and great managers

Good work life balance and remote option with training and equipments are provided…Not much further growth opportunities are provided as I was in temp position

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Unum?

Improving

Great to keep your bills paid. Do what you are hired to do follow the attendance policy and meet the metrics. Non-whites are not promoted or developed as frequent. Non-whites work harder and some hope their manager will help them move beyond entry level jobs. The company recognize they can improve I will give them a half effort at trying. Their managers are full of bias. It would be nice to survey your managers.

Unrealistic Expectations

Management sets unrealistic expectations in a short amount of time considering how much work is given. They work on a metrics system, which does not reflect the work you do. You walk on eggshells and are watched like a hawk. Being a minority, you have to work 5 times harder than your counterparts. They expect perfection, when they don't even give it. If you make a mistake you can forget about it. Also, if management does not care for you, they definitely show it. I have had the worst experience working here than I have my entire adult working life. Everything that goes wrong is your fault. Negative feedback must be a MUST with this company, because that is all you hear. Each Director is different and request you to do different things. Now don't get me wrong, when I first started, I loved it. However, once changing of directors I began to hate my job. Which caused major anxiety. Good Luck!!

Solid and Stable Company

It’s a good ol boys club. If you don’t play the games the directors want you to play, you will never get promoted. The management is very cold and very profit driven and less about morals when it comes to handling claims. If your cold hearted, don’t care about people and have mastered the art of stepping on people to get to the top, you will fit right in

Pros

Tools to do the job are the best in the industry

Cons

See Review

Great Entry level job

I have been a eligibility specialist and call center rep. Both positions are ok. You will enjoy the pay and flex schedules. Management is cool not all but some

Unum is great for people seeking a new learning experience.

I’m an external hire with no previous insurance knowledge. I was trained and prepared to manage disability claims. My coworkers and supervisors are incredibly supportive and I do feel that I have opportunities to advance here, which is something I never had.

Pros

Flex schedule

Cons

Takes a long time to be totally competent in job

Love it

One of the best jobs I’ve had, when it comes to management. The stress level is very very high due to it being a call center. If you’re not able to handle lots of stress this isn’t the job for you.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

High stress level

It was a great place to work, I just wished that I would not have had to quit because of the Neurosarcoidosis but everything is under control now! I was able to go into work everyday with a friendly welcome and a smile from my bosses and they helped when needed.

Cons

Outsourcing is on everyone’s mind.

The general feeling here is that your job is next for outsourcing and you work each day just trying to make it another six months with a job. If you make it another six months then you are likely doing the extra work of someone who was just terminated.

Absolutely awful

Would never consider going back. Awful. Basic pay rates with high pressure which is just not worth it. Given they are an insurance company who claim to 'understand mental and physical ailments' they could not give a toss about your mental well-being. If you're struggling, they'd rather get rid of you than support you.

Ok place to work

The Baton Rouge location had a lot of politics. Tight place, you have to be friends with your boss to be promoted. Hard work wasn’t really valued. They would approve you for overtime but not promote you.

Pros

Good ambiance overall

Cons

Hard to move up

Early career opportunities

This is a great place to start your career in your specific discipline. Plenty of growth opportunities and the culture is great. Expectations are high but manageable.

Pros

Benefits, work from home

Cons

High work load

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unum. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Unum
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?