Victoria University of Wellington

Victoria University of Wellington Employee Reviews

New Zealand31 reviews

4.2Work–Life Balance

Good place for a short assignment

Interesting and fast paced environment but staff wellbeing is not their priority. The onboarding process was very long. Waited for weeks to get set up for pay. HR needs serious improvement as does communication with employees. Once on the job it was really good as a short term opportunity. Interestinv projects and lots of others to share the experience with. Definitely worth trying as you can learn a lot.

Pros

lots of great, valuable experience. Really interesting people and projects.

Cons

low stability

Great job supporting students

Love supporting students but I am very overworked due to the volumes of emails I get. I am very interested in my work of helping students understand the subjects I teach.

Pros

Working with students Interesting work Teaching Marking

Cons

Overworked Contract paperwork submitted late

productive and fun working place

I have learn alot working with Victoria University and during their orientations I work with teams and different department staff to coordinate smooth orientation for the students

Best coordinator

The most meaningful job with the loveliest management.. Training was complete and fantastic. Group gathering and opportunities were often arising for more work time. Very supportive and understanding coordinator.

It’s a great place to work

Really liked working there it’s a great institution. The payment is quite fair and it’s a very supportive environment. Everything about it was really great.

Sehr angenehmer Arbeitgeber mit großartigen Menschen

VUW ist ein wirklich angenehmer Arbeitgeber. Als Doktorand ist die Vergütung allerdings natürlicherweise relativ gering. Ein karrieretechnisches Contra ist die Abgelegenheit Neuseelands vom Rest der Welt. Allerdings hat dies auch indirekt einen (positiven) Einfluss auf die Lebensqualität in NZ.

Good work but irregular hours

A typical day at work is jumping into the shuttle to the airport, meeting students and taking them to their accommodation. You will also be expected to help out with orientation and enrollment. This may include leading campus tours, photocopying passports and visas and helping out any students who need it. I learned that it helps to be pro-active in a customer service position. Management are very friendly and always treated me well. The Victoria International office is an inclusive workplace. The hardest part is the irregular hours. I often had to pick up students up past midnight and then pick more up early the next morning. Irregular work means this is not a position for those who seek security. It is intended as a part-time job for students. The most enjoyable parts were meeting people from all over the world and the camaraderie that developed on my team.

I was a volunter who they insisted on paying

My summary says it all really, was happy to work and not be paid but they insisted on paying me. Would be nice to have some extra funding for the wall but are understandably hamstring by Health and safety concerns.

Suportive working environment

The overall experience was enjoyable. The administrator and academic staffs were very supportive. Love the teaching experience because I got engage with the students and give them the supports that I could not get while I was doing my undergraduates.

Pros

A supportive environment to learn, explore and improve my teaching experience

The Management were really good and productive.

The Campus Care Safety team is a new team trying to put people where they fit best. Unfortunately for myself due to medical condition and an interview which was mainly about my recovery from having dialysis full time. The work place meets all health and safety rules, and the Management tea, is one of the best I've worked with. The only down fall was the pay system,

Pros

There was always opportunities to do extra work and earn extra money if you are willing to do so.

Cons

There were some staff members that needed to be team players.

Perfect job while studying

I really enjoyed working for Victoria University Of Wellington as a tutor. It was the perfect job while studying because the working hours were flexible and the place of work is the university itself.

Fantastic place to work

Working at Victoria University of Wellington was one of the best places I have ever worked, and I never should have left. This place looks after it's employees, recognizes your effort, skills interests and rewards and enables you to grow. They offer continued training and guidance. They embrace ITIL and KCS methodology, and have a true focus on customer support that was enlightening and game changing. On top of the working environment, there is a focus on life balance and stress relief, with the benefit of having facilities to social activities other organisations can only dream of.

Pros

facilities

Family Orientated and Fun

I was able to grow as an individual. Especially with public speaking and connecting with students that are new to the campus. It was all about making sure they were prepared, informing the students with the facilities available at Victoria University. We wanted to their first time at Victoria the best experience.

Pros

Free Lunches, Free Rides

Cons

Casual Placement

Very busy workplace with extreme peak times throughout the year

Working in the School environment exposed to the elitist culture of academia and experienced a culture where non-academia is seen but not heard. Good - 37.5 hr working week, unlimited sick pay, 4 weeks annual leave + 1 weeks worth of university holdiays and the univeristy's super scheme if you can afford it.

Cons

Very busy workload at times with a alot of balls to juggle

Student at Victoria University

Victoria University is a fun space where you get out what you put in. It is packed full of helpful people and things to ensure your success. Victoria is professionally run to a high standard. It's academic staff are among the best New Zealand has to offer.

Pros

Expertise

Cons

Lots of study

I was able to work my own hours and from home.

I enjoyed working on this project. It was a short term contract, would be happy to do something similar again. Good manager, good hours and excellent opportunity for me.

Pros

Work my own hours

Cons

No cons

Overall Experience

I started at Victoria University of Wellington as a fixed term six month contract. I had been on a Working Holiday Visa in New Zealand and got hired at the University. It had taught me many skills that I can now take with me in the future. My Manager was incredible and caring and it helped me to love to go to work everyday. The University is a "melting pot" and there was people from everywhere that worked there. I would recommend them to anyone!

Pros

Team Building luncheons every two months

Cons

Short breaks

Exciting and challenging

Being a tutor at VUW was an exciting experience, I felt every day with the group was a challenge in a good way. The team behind you is very supportive. My only complaint is that there are no long term contracts for tutors, which makes it difficult if you want to stay there for it to become a life project.

Pros

support, flexibility, creativity

Cons

no long term contracts

Fun Productive workplace

Victoria International (VUW's international student division) has a unique culture not even the other departments at VUW experienced. We workhard together and play hard together. I really enjoyed the people i worked with.

friendly staff and fun workplace

I learnt a lot on this job. I was able to think on the spot in regards to flat conflicts, whenever theres a disagreement amongst the flatmates It was my job to step in and solve the problem. This was also the hardest part but I was able to over come it by finding common grounds fro everyone and making sure every flatmate's needs were met. the most enjoyable part was during Unihall events, this is an opportunity to mingle with all the students from across the globe, meeting new people and learning new cultures.

Pros

discount rent, free activities

Fun Side Job

This was a really fun side job. I was required to record and edit dialogue for a short film. The client was extremely relaxed and made recording enjoyable.

Pros

Doing what I love

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Victoria University of Wellington. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Victoria University of Wellington