Victoria University of Wellington Employee Reviews

The Management were really good and productive.
Campus Safety (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington23 August 2018
The Campus Care Safety team is a new team trying to put people where they fit best.

Unfortunately for myself due to medical condition and an interview which was mainly about my recovery from having dialysis full time.

The work place meets all health and safety rules, and the Management tea, is one of the best I've worked with. The only down fall was the pay system,
Pros
There was always opportunities to do extra work and earn extra money if you are willing to do so.
Cons
There were some staff members that needed to be team players.
Perfect job while studying
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington8 August 2018
I really enjoyed working for Victoria University Of Wellington as a tutor. It was the perfect job while studying because the working hours were flexible and the place of work is the university itself.
Fantastic place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington14 June 2018
Working at Victoria University of Wellington was one of the best places I have ever worked, and I never should have left.

This place looks after it's employees, recognizes your effort, skills interests and rewards and enables you to grow.

They offer continued training and guidance. They embrace ITIL and KCS methodology, and have a true focus on customer support that was enlightening and game changing.

On top of the working environment, there is a focus on life balance and stress relief, with the benefit of having facilities to social activities other organisations can only dream of.
Pros
facilities
Family Orientated and Fun
WGTN Hall Co-ordinator (Casual Contract) (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington4 February 2018
I was able to grow as an individual. Especially with public speaking and connecting with students that are new to the campus. It was all about making sure they were prepared, informing the students with the facilities available at Victoria University. We wanted to their first time at Victoria the best experience.
Pros
Free Lunches, Free Rides
Cons
Casual Placement
Very busy workplace with extreme peak times throughout the year
Programme Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington4 February 2018
Working in the School environment exposed to the elitist culture of academia and experienced a culture where non-academia is seen but not heard. Good - 37.5 hr working week, unlimited sick pay, 4 weeks annual leave + 1 weeks worth of university holdiays and the univeristy's super scheme if you can afford it.
Cons
Very busy workload at times with a alot of balls to juggle
Student at Victoria University
Student (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington16 November 2017
Victoria University is a fun space where you get out what you put in. It is packed full of helpful people and things to ensure your success. Victoria is professionally run to a high standard. It's academic staff are among the best New Zealand has to offer.
Pros
Expertise
Cons
Lots of study
I was able to work my own hours and from home.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington26 October 2017
I enjoyed working on this project. It was a short term contract, would be happy to do something similar again. Good manager, good hours and excellent opportunity for me.
Pros
Work my own hours
Cons
No cons
Overall Experience
Property Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wellington, New Zealand23 October 2017
I started at Victoria University of Wellington as a fixed term six month contract. I had been on a Working Holiday Visa in New Zealand and got hired at the University. It had taught me many skills that I can now take with me in the future. My Manager was incredible and caring and it helped me to love to go to work everyday. The University is a "melting pot" and there was people from everywhere that worked there. I would recommend them to anyone!
Pros
Team Building luncheons every two months
Cons
Short breaks
Exciting and challenging
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington6 July 2017
Being a tutor at VUW was an exciting experience, I felt every day with the group was a challenge in a good way. The team behind you is very supportive. My only complaint is that there are no long term contracts for tutors, which makes it difficult if you want to stay there for it to become a life project.
Pros
support, flexibility, creativity
Cons
no long term contracts
Fun Productive workplace
Coordinator International Programmes (Former Employee) –  Wellington, New Zealand22 June 2017
Victoria International (VUW's international student division) has a unique culture not even the other departments at VUW experienced. We workhard together and play hard together. I really enjoyed the people i worked with.
friendly staff and fun workplace
Tour guide for exchange students (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington28 May 2017
I learnt a lot on this job. I was able to think on the spot in regards to flat conflicts, whenever theres a disagreement amongst the flatmates It was my job to step in and solve the problem. This was also the hardest part but I was able to over come it by finding common grounds fro everyone and making sure every flatmate's needs were met. the most enjoyable part was during Unihall events, this is an opportunity to mingle with all the students from across the globe, meeting new people and learning new cultures.
Pros
discount rent, free activities
Fun Side Job
Audio Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington7 May 2017
This was a really fun side job. I was required to record and edit dialogue for a short film. The client was extremely relaxed and made recording enjoyable.
Pros
Doing what I love
challenging but fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington15 April 2017
I help students solve their equiries. This helps me further my knowledge, improve communication skills and oral English. I also made friends with some students.
Professional working people
exam supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington10 November 2016
It is a good experience working here with good and professional people. Very productive, friendly and organized. The working environment is full of positive vibes and make you become productive and efficient.
Awesome University
Web Developer (student) (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington19 March 2016
VUW is a good university with lots talent students and creative teachers. Studying in VUW is definitely a good choice. It enables me to find many friends and we could help each other.
Average
RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Wellington, N8 July 2014
My duties include general receptionist work and varying tasks as part of a team. I play a major role in the running of the organization which involves; fielding telephone calls, receiving and directing visitors, a strong knowledge of the organization and a high level of professionalism are required. In addition to my general reception duties, I am required to provide administration support as and when required by key members of staff. I have gained effective and clear communication.
Pros
Lots of spare time
Cons
Not many hours
Great Education
Laboratory Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Kelburn Campus3 April 2014
Great Education. I liked the people and the atmosphere. I left because I was not sure if the degree I was pursuing was worth it.
rewarding
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, N6 February 2014
data collection and search literature
learn:Expert Excel skill
time management
It was a good place to work with friendly environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington, New Zealand16 November 2013
I was involved in research and after every week I have to report to my supervisor about the week's progress. So It was a good hardworking environment. All my colleagues were very cooperative and they always listened to my need of any hardware tool I required for research.
The hardest part of the job are always the results so I have achieved all the results by working day and night.
Pros
Free tea and sometimes free food
Work Experience
Campus Coach (Former Employee) –  Wellington City11 November 2013
I really enjoyed having a position with helping first year students settle into the University life. I was able to use my past experience as a first year student to help support students with their studies and also making sure that their transition into University life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Victoria University of Wellington. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4