Waikato District Health Board Management reviews

Be fair to everyone, Eliminate social Discrimination
RN (Former Employee) –  Orthopedics3 August 2019
Respect your employee to be respected
No one should be a victim of prejudice and social Discrimination.
Everyone should be treated with respect and fairness
Nobody should show his supremacy and rudeness.
everyone needs to think individually not collectively to make a decision
show Respect and Love to everyone,fight RACISM.
Terrible experience
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato1 October 2018
No support from management over bullying issues and medical issues. Less than a full week of training for all the systems. Not a good place to work at.
Great staff - good place to work
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New Zealand15 May 2018
Most enjoyable part was the staff I worked with. Life long friendships were formed throughout my time there (6 years). Management on a whole was pretty good. Pay, not so good. Learnt so much, and my role was so varied which I loved.
Pros
Leave was always approved
Cons
Again, pay wasn't good
Workplace
Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Te Kuiti, Waikato9 April 2018
A wonderful place to work, I was there for 32 years, and it was time to move on to live in a different location.
During my 32 years I covered a variety of positions with responsibility to match.
Great culture and variety of nationalities too work with.
The most challenging part of the position was the Medication ordering, however I nailed it and the staff had great respect for me and I them.
The management team were very supportive.
I enjoyed the work as no day was the same.
Fun challenging
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato20 August 2017
Busy
respectful challenging days with patient and staff keeps day fun and exciting.
good support from staff and management when in need.
Good team players
Pros
free tea coffee
Cons
non
Solid company
Trade Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waikato26 June 2017
Amazing company to work for .Great to be apart of an important project for Waikato Health Department. A lot of good workers and well established project management and supervisors.
Pros
nil
Cons
nil
Bullying & Small minds
Administration (Former Employee) –  Waikato Hospital16 March 2017
Do as you are told and do not ask or question.
Little training, vague instructions and too many managers.
Management and the culture of bullying is the main issue, and of course pathetic pay - for which you have to do everything.
Lower and middle management have the passive aggressive thing extremely fine tuned.
Most staff I spoke to were unhappy in their roles, with their workloads and with their managers.
Pros
Free flu jab for staff - pushed on you.
Cons
Bullying
Understaffed & stressful environment
Staff midwife (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato12 February 2017
Working at Waikato DHB was often stressful with unpredictable & sometimes bad outcomes. I did gain experience in lots of areas of practice. There was a culture of bullying by management, which caused problems with recruitment & retention. High acuity due to staffing levels being unacceptably low was the hardest part of the job, especially when things went wrong. Working with mothers and their babies was the most enjoyable part of the job. Also being part of their journey to motherhood & birth.
Hardworking but fun culture
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato7 December 2016
we had an amazing Charge Nurse who always supported every team member.
At times , CCU could be very stressful, but great team work on the ward usually pulled us through.

Top management never really bothered us as our Charge Nurse managed us beautifully.
Pros
Excellent learning
Cons
Night shift!
Easy job to do after a while
Filing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato19 October 2016
Worked in medical records and 99.99% was filing
Work as a volunteer then emplpyed until I left because the hospital was going through restructuring. I also relocated.
Pros
I had a job for a while
Cons
Lousy management
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Hamilton30 March 2016
Good people and satisfying work, good management, had lot of fun working with people from different culture , overall a very satisfying experience.
Working with refugees and new migrants has many facets and challenges but is enjoyable when one has the passion to help the disadvantaged people
Community Development Officer/Health Promoter (Current Employee) –  Hamilton New Zealand9 March 2016
My daily work routine would start by checking my electronic calendar about daily appointments and meetings for the day.
I would then have to prepare for those meetings.
Work cars are available for traveling to meetings which are further away from the city, so I make sure I book the car that I will be taking to whichever meeting. However, when there are no meetings, there is always paper work to do i.e. project evaluation reports, etc.

Records of activities for each day is kept for accountability purposes.

Management:
There are two managers in this work place. The managers do check the daily activity book to ensure everyone is doing their job. A performance appraisal is conducted once every three months.

My work colleagues
We see ourselves as a team. We support each other when and where necessary. We have team meetings once a month to discuss areas of concern and our work and what support each individuals would require for their project.
Pros
A friendly and supportive environment to work in
Cons
The organisation is based in the city so obviously car parks are expensive
productive and fun work place
Kitchen assistant, attendant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton9 March 2016
every day we work is typical and we do learn so many things
I have worked with most of the different companies management should be good and also the co-workers
while doing my duties I have been a part of that team member every work we do becomes easily as a team work
been a multi skilled person all the work in my field i don't find hard but always interesting and enjoyable as I am keen to learn more
Pros
good conditions
Cons
30 hrs a week
A real privilege to work with top doctors and nurses
Medical Receptionist - Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Hamilton10 April 2015
Anybody or any health circumstance could present itself; I learnt to be prepared and keep calm. Management were passionate in keeping professional standards. My co-workers were diverse and some were of long service employees. I found the un-patterned roster a challenge for work life balance. I really enjoyed the atmostphere, everyone ready for the challenge of the unknown.
Yeah, nah
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nursing4 February 2015
There was strength an unity among my nursing colleagues which I enjoyed. However, my experience with nursing management and the "system" in general has been very negative and disappointing after knowing support and equality from another hospital, which values its nursing staff. I learnt my area of specialty at world renown hospital and then had to dumb down at Waikato while they struggle to catch up with the rest of the world. It's a place that has big shoes, big idea's and small minds. Lose the nurse manager / business manager culture of bullying and grow up. 'Nuff said.
Pros
Has a very advanced culture of bullying and favouritism, whilst maintaining an old girls network in some if not all departments
Cons
Not much choice regarding hospitals to work for in Waikato, this is it
Very Supportive area to work for.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Health Waikato29 August 2012
I have worked at Health Waikato for over 12 years in a very supportive environment. My co-workers work hard and have excellent nursing skills. The Managers support staff to give excellent quality of care. The hardest part of the job is when a patient dies that you have cared for and the ever increasing amount of paperwork. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see your patient become better after having a major heart attack and are ready for discharge home. I have learned so much in this job that there is too much to name. However time management is one of the biggest things that I have learnt over the years.
Pros
supportive
I did not enjoy working at Waikato DHB
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New Zealand16 August 2012
The management was not always flexible enough to change!

Very productive team of highly qualified and experienced professionals.

The hardest part of the job was convincing middle management that changes, culture changes, were required. About 70% staff turnover.
Pros
in hamilton, great cafeteria.
Cons
long hours and little appreciation.