Westpac Employee Reviews

Easily the best job I have ever had
Customer Banking Consultant (Former Employee) –  NZ28 July 2019
Westpac has a great work culture that encourages all employees to succeed. After the introduction of the new KPI system, there has been nothing but improvement in the overall vibe within staff.
The management helps build their teams, the staff encourage each other.
Pros
Excellent work culture
Cons
Not as much growth if you do not work in Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch
Customer foccused
Home Lending Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington28 April 2019
Westpac is a very good organisation. Very good work culture, customer service focused and excellent work life balance. Higher management is very suppotive.
Pros
Excellent work culture
Cons
Salary not very competitive
Peoples Bank
Pricing and Product Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Zealand29 January 2019
This is one of the best Corporate Organization to work for in NZ. staff flexibility. Great benefits for the high performing staff. Great Management. Great Team building workshops. great career goal opportunities. Everyone is treated equally with respect.
Pros
Great Benefits and Flexibility
Motivating
Business Analyst & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland8 January 2019
Westpac is a fantastic company to work for. I found the team to be motivational. There were many opportunities for growth and personal development. Strong mission and strategy. I look forward to working with Westpac again in the future.
Bright Sun Shinning Knowledgeable Enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland8 November 2018
Meeting Customer requirements was demanding. Dealing with Customer accounts was challenging, the systems and processes with the bank were always ongoing. Keeping update with new promotions new system updates and new process were difficult and challenging. I found that keeping the customer happy was the main goal, so keeping up to date with all changes throughout the banking system was a must. My Team Leader was great and always looking for improvements towards my work, there was always room for improvement as systems and process were being updated.The people were always helping each other and friendly. I found that the constant refreshers of systems and processes were difficult to keep up with as the promotions and knowledge of the products were always ongoing and updated. The plus for me working for the bank was meeting new people, Learning new skills.
Pros
Customer Service skills
Cons
Rotating Schedule
Fun workplace with plenty of opportunity to succeed
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Westpac. I found the management to be supportive and helpful and my roles rewarding. I believe that the culture of the organisation could be improved by becoming more competitive which I also think could be achieved without sacrificing what makes the organisation great.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible working
Cons
The organisation does not have a competitive culture.
Good vibe overall
The organisation has a culture of bullying and blame that is masked by calling it "performance management". Supportive of "big personalities" it's about ego rather than quality work.

While they talk bit about diversity, the Women in Leadership programme isn't about balance it's about promoting women - to the point that in some business units the males in leadership amount to less than 20% (this would not be tolerated if it were women with such a small percentage).
fun and well managed company
Manager Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland5 March 2018
At the end of the month report I had to stay back after work to finish up reports and send to my manager before deadline. I learned a lot while working at this company, well managed by well experienced staff. The hardest part of the job when the management sent me to restructure one of the outer island branch but still I managed well the job. Most enjoyable part of the job when I resigned from the job I had no bad record at the bank, enjoyed when my work done very well.
Pros
gain experience
Cons
if you do not do your work
Banking
Teller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dannevirke, Manawatu-Wanganui9 February 2018
My job entailed selling products, counting cash, ensuring money machine full and working as a team. I was responsible for balancing branch cash, foreign cash and displaying promotional material. I enjoyed talking to people, finding out their needs and ensuring their needs were met.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Being robbed
People Focused Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waikato7 February 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Westpac NZ as part of the retail team ( in branch bank teller) . There was a very positive work culture with regular briefings, inspirations, recognition of achievements from management at all levels, as well as great staff benefits.There was always opportunity to learn more, take upon more responsibility and receive training should you be unsure about anything. A typical day consists of assisting customers in branch with withdrawal and deposits, providing new products/ services such as savings accounts and savings plans, Kiwisaver, insurance, and investments. A day can be varied and you get to meet a lot of people from your community and assist them in meaningful ways. This aspect made the job particularly rewarding. Also going into any branch in a different city or town was always like being welcomed into a second home, putting faces to people who might have helped you over the phone or email. A great place to work!
Pros
free accounts, better rates on credit cards and mortgages, health
Cons
Wearing red if its not your colour.
Hard work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Whangaparaoa, Auckland9 November 2017
The staff was very friendly
Only a few was messy and once one of the staff who recently had a baby left dirty nappies for me to dispose of
This was very unpleasant
Some staff smoked outside the building but I found smelly sigarette buds behind desks
Pros
Was close to my home to clean
Cons
Sometimes very messy
great opportunities to advance within company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wellington29 October 2017
Wide variety of tasks on daily basis. Loved assisting customers and meeting new people each day. Was involved with staff training, health and safety. Great customer focus.
Pros
excellent trainers
Cons
branch closed due nation wide restructure
Worst bank to work for
Bank Officer (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland23 September 2017
Agree bullies paradise, a lot of internal politics, favoritism and nit picking. When you have staff that complain be prepared to be targeted by senior management and constantly been told you are not good enough. HR failed in hiring sociopaths as managers, and when you tell them that is the case you get made to feel it is you that is the problem. I left as quickly as I started. One of the worst places to work, no wonder the media has a field day with them. Funny thing is these bullies hide behind a corporation try working in the real world where there are serious consequences and see how far you go?
Pros
Packages
Cons
Bullying culture
Westpac Overall
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Auckland Central, Auckland3 September 2017
Worked with some awesome people who love their jobs but no help from upper ranks.
Stress levels can reach an all time high for not only the branch staff members but also the in branch managers.
Learned that you pretty much train yourself to get up to scratch to where everyone else is but the staff are lovely and are willing to help you become better.

Hardest part of the job would be starting without any formal training dealing with snotty customers.

Most enjoyable part was meeting and working with some really exceptional people from all walks of life.
Pros
People & salary
Cons
No proper training, high demand 99% of the time
Busy but friendly
Senior Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  CBD Auckland15 August 2017
days were spent checking the incoming/outgoing expenses, checking on clients credit ratings and chasing up bad debts. Weekly profit and loss accounts were produced and then the monthly statements. A lot of time was spent ensuring travel agents had correctly charged clients, and gst returns filled in daily.
Pros
cheap travel perks
Multicultural workplace
Sales and Lending Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand15 August 2017
Work along really well with all workmates and team leaders at Westpac bank all the time.
Workmates were very friendly and helpful
Team Leaders were very supportive
Pros
Free tea, coffee, milk
Not bad
Wealth Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland9 August 2017
Good workplace,

Hard to progress, had a pool table and table tennis table,

Lovely building in britomart in Auckland CBD.

Hard to get changes made.
Experienced Leader
Bank Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand20 July 2017
Experienced leader with a demonstrated history of working in the banking industry. Skilled in People Leadership, Coaching, Operations Management and Sales. Strong banking professional with a Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) focused in Management and Business Information Systems from Auckland University of Technology.
Fun Place to work made some great friends
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Invercargill, Southland20 June 2017
Busy

Very supportive and always very approachable.

Standards very high.

Meeting the criteria for loans

Informing customers they could go ahead with their and dreams.
Pros
Very nice and smart work uniform.
Cons
no cons
Banking / Lending
Multi-Channel Specialist November 2015 -May 2016 (Former Employee) –  Britomart, Auckland Central21 March 2017
It is a good place to work with room for advancement, the people are fun to work with and they provide a good financial background for career minded individuals.
Pros
Good financial industry knowledge
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westpac. Our community is ready to answer.