whitcoulls Employee Reviews

Not ideal
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington16 June 2019
Working here was not ideal. At first I was excited with the prospect of moving forward in my career being a supervisor and all. However, this all changed not too long after.

The pay was atrocious, especially for all the work staff were putting in. Management could not care about a person's cultural background, nor could they care about professional development.

Managers would often be rewarded for the work done by their team, and the team not acknowledged at all. Many staff I worked with described how much they disliked working for the company also, but had to stay with them to help provide funds.

The hardest part of the job was having to always suck it up and get on with the job, even when you didn't want to.

The best part were all the discounts you could get and being surrounded by amazing books.
Pros
Discounts, Books
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, poor stock handling
Bad Management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Auckland, Auckland20 January 2019
I enjoy books, but the experience of working at Whitcoulls all depends on the management team. Most managers are overworked, underpaid and under-appreciated by Head Office. In fact, the Regional Managers are poor and can making life not worth living while working there. I worked as a supervisor and also a casual. I was a keyholder at one stage but all the responsibility garners no extra money. Whitcoulls pays a pittance and asks the earth of its staff.
Pros
Being with books
Cons
Poor wages
Hang out with books all day.
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington10 August 2017
I upskilled a lot in my time with this company. Started out as a work experience type situation and left nearly four years later knowing a lot more than the standard sales person (at my store) - Cash office, opening, closing, merchandising, internal transfers, returns, magazines (On top of the standard Cashier/Customer service). Management at this store could be better when it came to "uncomfortable situations". The most enjoyable part of this job was the satisfaction of actually helping customers who were open to new ideas and books...also that really good feeling you get when you look at a table and think I merchandised all that.
Pros
Ice-Cream Days
Cons
Open all holidays (Except Christmas)
Sterotypical Retail
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, BM12 July 2017
The Job is a usual retail experience with very customer focused. the staff are happy to help customer and each other. they do pay for you lotto training.
Cons
hard to get more hours within the company
Productive workplace
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Auckland26 June 2017
Whitcoulls is my first job in saying that it has taught me a lot to do with customer service and cash handling. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to serve frequent and local customers as well as interacting with new faces! The most hardest part of the job however was meeting people that weren't always on the sunny side . These people would never affect my job. Overall an amazing work space!
Big multinational
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NZ14 May 2017
Not a great place to work, the company belongs to Farmers, they will pay you minimum wage and make you do the job of a supervisor. 54 hours work per week and you do not get paid for extra hours.
Pros
Team members
Cons
everything else
Fun and friendly work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty14 March 2017
I overly enjoyed my time with Whitcoulls and was sad when it was time to leave. I made some great connections with other staff members and head office staff are understanding and very easy to talk with.
Gave me decent hours, but ended up getting bored in the store
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Porirua, Wellington4 March 2017
Was mainly employed to serve customers at checkout, set up signage and organise the greeting cards section. Occasionally I got to set up a display but the manager normally took over.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
Boring and quiet store, hardly any customers.
Customer service
Retail assistant, deliver customer service (Former Employee) –  Wellington, N26 June 2015
I really liked working with the customers making sure they left the store happy with their purchases. I liked learning how to process and sell lotto.
Pros
I enjoyed working with customers face to face and over the phone
Cons
I didn't know some books or what books were about
Sales Assistant
Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato11 July 2014
A typical day at Whitcoulls, involves the following,
Greeting and serving customers
Creating a relaxed and helpful environment for customers
Cash handling
Store cleanliness and presentation
price changes, returns, orders and internal tranfer's
Providing efficient phone service
Remaining calm and collective during busy hours
Pros
30% discount of books and stationary.
Cons
Can be tedious
awesome place to work, looked after well and fantastic people to work with and for.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N10 December 2013
typical day is serving customers and processing there purchases through the tills using cash, eftpos, credit cards and gift cards. assisting the customers to find products they are looking for and helping them if they are unsure what to buy.
i learned so much about the products that they stocked, going with not much knowledge i picked up on the stock they sell and the computer system really fast
i really enjoyed my job as i got along with everyone which makes the working environment so good to work in.
the hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult customers who make your job a lot harder but still being able to make a purchase from them.
enjoyable part of my job was when searching for products that are really rare and a odd product and the chances of finding the product is small, but being able to find it is rewarding because the customer is happy and also makes me happy.
Pros
awesome work colleagues.
Cons
Pay
It was fun working with the company .
sales person (Former Employee) –  Meridian mall , Dunedin16 January 2013
Its was customer service job. I learnt stock taking , knowledge about the books. Opening and closing of the store . Ordering of the books and the stock .My work enviornment was great and very helpful co - workers. Talking to the customers and solving their queries was most enjoyable. To know the authors but with time I have learnt .
Pros
discounts on the things.
Whitcoulls
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Botany Downs22 July 2012
I have learned about putting DVD's with a right order..I also putting books with right order and yeah. I have enjoyed working at Whitcoulls but didn't get paid for my job.
Pros
9:00 to 12:00
Cons
8:30 to 8:30
fun work place
typical day at work was when i was load with the work and i was doing the work in peer pressure but later on my work mate came to help me out.i learnt that team work is very important.
Pros
dinner from the company's side
Cons
long hours of work made me feel free to finish work before the due date