Wood Mackenzie

Wood Mackenzie Employee Reviews

4.2Work–Life Balance

Good Culture

Good CultureNot sure about career progressionpay sub parhealth insurance was greatemployees are friendlynot much avaiable trainingoffice politicsplenty of time off

Pros

culture

Cons

pay

Built a career

Learned and expanded my core talents while gaining meaningful employment. Made friends around the world and loved my job. Was able to use many inherent skills to increase the value of our products and enhance skills of my coworkers.

Pros

Time off.

Cons

Middle management could use an overhaul.

Good place to work, going through a transition

Wood Mackenzie is going through a transition period both due to (relatively) new ownership and the difficult oil market. However this is for the better of the company - as long as it retains some of its original culture this is still a great place to work

good place

This is very good place for mechanical,hydraulic,pneumatis and automation related jobs.i gained so much knowladge related to all the mechanical,hydraulic and pneumatic works here.

Pros

good place

Cons

Good benefits but lack of advancement opportunity poor senior Tech management

A lot of acquisitions in recent years which translate into a lot of project/integration related work. A lot of bureaucracy in IT management. All senior IT managers are based out of UK and has minimal visibility of what happens outside Edinburgh.

Pros

good vacation & medical

Cons

no room for adv.

Good place

Its a good place to learn about the industry. Huge scope of coverage and exciting are to work on. Work can be repetitive and opportunities for career growth are limited.

Good work culture with great minds in the industry to work with

Good work culture with great minds in the industry to work with. They are the experts in Oil/ Gas, PetroChemicals, Upstream, Downstream consultants.

Productive and competetive environment

A very good venture for a dedicated and hard-working person. Equally satisfying salary and benefits. Not for casuals looking just for money, as the workload can be demanding, but never too much. You cannot get away without doing what you are being paid for.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Long work hours

Only an Internship

Wood Mackenzie was the most sane place I ever worked. Low employee turnover and a Scottish owner led to a culture where coworkers in and between different groups trusted each other, respected each other, and worked on long-term company objectives together. Work life balance was very much in favor of life. The work product is good and interesting. The staff were universally friendly and kind.

All the questions

I just hate going here every day the long trips and the rude people that make you want to pull out your hair and jump out the window. I will never think about this place another day of my life until I die.

Workplace culture

Great to work with a highly experienced and dedicated team of people in Research, Technology and Research. Opportunities to travel to offices in UK and US.

Great company

This company puts our impecable research products. They have been working on improving the user friendliness of there products but the actual research is second to none. A shining star in the area of energy research

Pros

Great research products

Cons

Stuffy corporate environment to work

Grew too fast & then laid off tons of people

Company management has no clue what's going on, they grew so fast for a few years & were hiring non-stop. After doing so, realized there mistake & started to lay people off left and right.

Pros

Gas & oil companies pay well

Cons

Some management departments have no clue how to properly do their job

Data Analyst

This is a unique company. Independent and objective in their views, conservative in their forecasting methodology. It's by far the biggest commodity research/consulting firm.

Ambitious and friendly workplace

Good work / life balance. Opportunity to learn and lot and take on responsibility. Deep knowledge bank to tap into. Management has seen quite a bit of churn in last few years due to change in company ownership. Fun people to work with who appreciate there's more to life than work.

The people I worked with were very nice and had good sense of humour

During my two week work experience, I spent four days at Wood Mackenzie with the creative and marketing team. I learned new skills on the computer by using photoshop and learned what happens behind the scenes of social media. Key achievements: Learned how to create a logo on the computer using photoshop. Designed a logo for the Wood Mac Excellence Award. Researched the branding of a recently acquired company as part of its integration. Researched and learned how to design and use infographics when promoting a company.

Pros

An enjoyable work place

Cons

Maintaining business growth in a challenging and competetive market

Meeting internal and external client requests for forecasting and model data reporting. Researching and extracting fundamental data for energy market scenario and base case reporting conception. Maintaining data availability awareness and communicating with stake holders risks to the reporting schedule. Keeping people connected to the brain trust integration of several differently focused energy divisions. All of this teaches you personable and continuous communication and knowledge sharing techniques. It also heightens your awareness to the bigger business picture and makes you a commercial thinker. The opportunity of being a key part of a project's success while working together with creative and diversified minds is extremely satisfying and rewarding; even with its complexity and translation misinterpretations. I enjoy the most the out-of-the box creativity to develop and build data and analytical tools of efficiency that support key members; clearing up their time for the important development of more insightful products for business improvement.

Pros

Collaborative and Collegeal interaction

Cons

Often times too serious and lacking in senses of humor

Excellent Introduction to Software Development

I joined Wood Mackenzie as part of a one-year long apprenticeship through QA Apprenticeships. Wood Mackenzie, despite having never ran a program such as this, provided a fantastic level of support to allow the apprentices within the program to explore the areas of technology which they felt to be interesting, working the schedule around the apprentices as opposed to the opposite. As a result, every apprentice that graduated from the program left the company with a well rounded skill set and with a brilliant foundation of knowledge to help them kickstart their career as software developers. The atmosphere within Wood Mackenzie was quiet, relaxed and enjoyable to work in which helped promote good relationships between co-workers.

Pros

Close proximity to Haymarket Station, Free fruit, Plenty of social events

Good people to work with. People are easy to get along with. Flexible working schedule plus I was able to work from home on bad weather days. They also have weekly training sessions for employees.

Conservative culture, academic environment

The leadership at Wood Mackenzie frequently say that the company has a very "conservative" culture. What that means is that they do not want to take the risks necessary to grow very fast. There is a lot of internal resistance to changing anything. When I started there it was mostly industry veterans with extensive experience and client contact was encouraged. Over time the company shifted to hiring mostly new college grads and tended not to replace experienced staff who left. I've also heard leadership say they want to create an academic environment in the office. That might sound good to some, but clients look for real world knowledge, not theory.

UK Company with small office in downtown Boston

Wood Mackenzie is a global company. Work with Edinburgh office in the morning, Houston office all day and Australia office in the late evening. My manager was located in the Houston office so had many phone conversations. Boston was a small office; only accounting person located in MA.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wood Mackenzie. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Wood Mackenzie
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?