Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from YMCA:

YMCA Employee Reviews

New Zealand40 reviews
I enjoyed working there .. and worked there for a few yrs .. sadly had an issue with one of the managements grandkids that attended (she was one of these ones who had probs with authority and had a smart mouth (rude etc) and told staff that she didnt have to do anything we asked as her nanna was one of the boss's there) and caused probs with staff

most of the staff left because of her (was south waikato)

but most of the job was good some great activities , trips and fun and seeing the kids grow in all ways and some shy kids come out of their shells is the bonus and main goal I did the holiday programme 7am - 5:30 but they often had some staff that would come in at 10 and work till 3 (part timers or those fitting in with committments)

I did the holiday programme and ran the before school programme too (that started at 6 am and we took the kids to the school to drop off and picked most of them up at 3 if the parents didnt) so that ran from 6- 9 am and then after school programme was 2:30pm - 5:30 (but a few of us had to wait till last pick up which was often 6pm)
Pros
exciting trips and activities, meeting and seeing kids grow, making new friends etc
Cons
the rare time you may get a difficult child (doesnt happen much at all), or parent you just have to learn to deal with them
Would not recommend. They do not value their workers. Very sloppy management. Very unprofessional at the front of desk through to reception. Big empty unkept buildings
Cons
I had to supply furnature and toy's, plus teaching aids, Not supported by management, Management did not lodge teaching certificate that was gained, This will need to be resat due to this.
I learned how to work with kids of different ages. Communicate with fellow staff members and parents when needed. Also what do when there was an incident and how to follow through to ensure everyone's safety. Management is great and thorough.
The Most enjoyable part of the job was stripping and making the beds
the most difficult job was getting told 3 different things at once

workplace is always spotless clean
Job was fun, went to many different places and met a lot of new people. I learned plenty about child care, management was caring and understanding, the workplace culture is very much one for all and all for one, the Job can be boring at times.
YMCA was a good place to learn how to work in a team and being active. I was actually a voluntary leader and spend most of the time looking after children.
While working for the YMCA we were always encouraged to uphold the four YMCA values responsibility, respect, caring and honesty. Even after leaving this job, I continue to carry out these values in my day to day life.
By working for the YMCA I learned that it is okay to ask for help and step in when you see someone else struggling. I enjoyed working with a diverse range of people from any different cultures and of many different ages.

Not having a set number of guaranteed hours every week was a struggle.
Was a 6 month contract to sort out and simplify there infrastructure.
This was extended to 2.5 years, in this time systems and processes were put in place to allow them to easily integrate new business units into the YMCA portfolio
Pros
People
Cons
No clear direction from CEO
I loved working here as a Referee as well as a Holiday Programme co-ordinator. Working with the younger generation of Wellington and gaining skills on how to interact with young kids have been exciting to do as a paid role.
Pros
Fun Environment
Cons
No Cons
really enjoyed working here.. fun an friendly stuff ... wonderfull boss to work for ...wish i never had to leave this job.... alway wel informed about everythink
I have been a volunteer with the YMCA for just over a year now. I can honestly say that by working with the YMCA I have gained some incredible experiences that I could not have otherwise. Everyone at the Y is so friendly and welcoming and are more than happy to go out of their way to help you which was amazing! I am still volunteering with YMCA and can see myself doing so for a while.
Pros
Gaining new skills and making connections with others
Cons
N/a
Wainui Park offered a fun work environment. Working there helped be develop skills with working with people one on one and in large groups. However I would work long days often times without a weekend.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
Long Work Day
This program was working with children 5 years to 15 years during the School Holidays. The purpose was to train positive leaders. My experience was learning how to be a role model and how to keep children safe whilst under my supervision.
Working for this Company was a joy. I was 16 and new to the workforce and those there were mostly senior to me and yet they supported me and made me feel like I 'belong'. There is a spiritual ethos at the YMCA that promotes well-being. The tone was positive and this was a great place to begin a career in the workforce. I have nothing but praise for the Staff and the YMCA's commitment to excellence, health and positive stance. Many role-models can be found here.
Pros
Vision and leadership
Helped children complete homework after school.
Basic skills needed as the children are all in elementary school.

Lack of organization in the management team.
Originally we were not a member of the organization but were bought by the organization and integrated into it. Great community to be involved with . They offer high levels of service.
Pros
Free gym membership
i didn't work there, i only helped out by volunteering for Raise up and Represent for 32.5 hours as a hp leader at the ymca.

there was a lot of actives
Pros
everyone helps each other
Cons
cant think of one
Was the CEO of this organisations, resigned due to Board of Directors bullying culture, plus Board not knowing what their role was within the organisation they were there there to govern not to be involved in the operational workings of the organisation.
Pros
Great community organisation
Cons
Working for the YMCA has been great but very tough at the same time. My average day started at 9 am and i finished at 8 pm long days most days. The setting tho was beautiful and I really liked the people I worked with. My instructor manager was fantastic and very approachable having said that the higher management were very hard to please and tough to read. I pride myself on working hard so I found this quite difficult to handle and times.
Pros
amazing place, made lots of lifelong friends
Cons
Higher management
This was my favourite place to work. It was childcare with pretiest kids in YMCA. Where I was to get the Supervisor position. It was sad that I had to leave because we were shifting.
Pros
Good work place
Cons
less hours
This was a great place to volunteer! They made sure everyone part of the group had a good time and they looked after everyone well. I really enjoyed bonding with the people there
Pros
fun outings