Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
YMCA Employee Review

A fun and productive work place

14 October 2019
YMCA was a good place to learn how to work in a team and being active. I was actually a voluntary leader and spend most of the time looking after children.
13 December 2017
I have been a volunteer with the YMCA for just over a year now. I can honestly say that by working with the YMCA I have gained some incredible experiences that I could not have otherwise. Everyone at the Y is so friendly and welcoming and are more than happy to go out of their way to help you which was amazing! I am still volunteering with YMCA and can see myself doing so for a while.
Pros
Gaining new skills and making connections with others
Cons
N/a
6 December 2017
Wainui Park offered a fun work environment. Working there helped be develop skills with working with people one on one and in large groups. However I would work long days often times without a weekend.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
Long Work Day
19 February 2014
I got to work at around 8:30am, Made the room tidy and set out Arts and Crafts/ other activities for the children to do for the day. Around 15 kids turned up at 9am and I would look after them along with my supervisor and other helpers until 5pm. We would take them on outings throughout the city and make sure the children were safe and enjoying themselves. My co-workers were an awesome bunch of people whom I worked very well with. The hardest part of the job was managing some of the 'troubled' children or children with certain needs, ( one 16 year old girl with ADHD and one boy with diabetes) and making sure all the children were all relatively happy with the overall outcome of disagreements they may have had.
Pros
Great workmates and great children to be around, a really fun workplace
Cons
Long Hours and a few of the kids were difficult to handle at times