Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
YMCA Employee Review

Stunning environment, enjoyable but tough place to work.

23 March 2017
Working for the YMCA has been great but very tough at the same time. My average day started at 9 am and i finished at 8 pm long days most days. The setting tho was beautiful and I really liked the people I worked with. My instructor manager was fantastic and very approachable having said that the higher management were very hard to please and tough to read. I pride myself on working hard so I found this quite difficult to handle and times.
Pros
amazing place, made lots of lifelong friends
Cons
Higher management
11 July 2014
Same role
Instructor (Former Employee) - invercargill
I really enjoyed working at the ymca as I did a variety of activities I worked in the gym , I worked with children and youth and all ages as a matter of fact. I found this job to be very rewarding and a great experience with an opportunity to advance learn and gain .. I also worked with the IHC as part of my job which I found very rewarding and I learned to have empathy for these people and became very fond of them , I think they also knew that I cared for them and respected them despite their obvious ailments .. I related well with my co workers , sometimes there was opportunities for team work which I enjoyed .. ..
14 June 2020
Team Leader (Former Employee) - Tokoroa, Waikato
I enjoyed working there .. and worked there for a few yrs .. sadly had an issue with one of the managements grandkids that attended (she was one of these ones who had probs with authority and had a smart mouth (rude etc) and told staff that she didnt have to do anything we asked as her nanna was one of the boss's there) and caused probs with staff

most of the staff left because of her (was south waikato)

but most of the job was good some great activities , trips and fun and seeing the kids grow in all ways and some shy kids come out of their shells is the bonus and main goal I did the holiday programme 7am - 5:30 but they often had some staff that would come in at 10 and work till 3 (part timers or those fitting in with committments)

I did the holiday programme and ran the before school programme too (that started at 6 am and we took the kids to the school to drop off and picked most of them up at 3 if the parents didnt) so that ran from 6- 9 am and then after school programme was 2:30pm - 5:30 (but a few of us had to wait till last pick up which was often 6pm)
Pros
exciting trips and activities, meeting and seeing kids grow, making new friends etc
Cons
the rare time you may get a difficult child (doesnt happen much at all), or parent you just have to learn to deal with them
2 June 2020
holiday/afcare assistant (Current Employee) - Hastings, Hawke's Bay
I learned how to work with kids of different ages. Communicate with fellow staff members and parents when needed. Also what do when there was an incident and how to follow through to ensure everyone's safety. Management is great and thorough.