Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from YMCA:

YMCA Employee Reviews

Showing all 29,633 reviews
I enjoyed working there .. and worked there for a few yrs .. sadly had an issue with one of the managements grandkids that attended (she was one of these ones who had probs with authority and had a smart mouth (rude etc) and told staff that she didnt have to do anything we asked as her nanna was one of the boss's there) and caused probs with staff

most of the staff left because of her (was south waikato)

but most of the job was good some great activities , trips and fun and seeing the kids grow in all ways and some shy kids come out of their shells is the bonus and main goal I did the holiday programme 7am - 5:30 but they often had some staff that would come in at 10 and work till 3 (part timers or those fitting in with committments)

I did the holiday programme and ran the before school programme too (that started at 6 am and we took the kids to the school to drop off and picked most of them up at 3 if the parents didnt) so that ran from 6- 9 am and then after school programme was 2:30pm - 5:30 (but a few of us had to wait till last pick up which was often 6pm)
Pros
exciting trips and activities, meeting and seeing kids grow, making new friends etc
Cons
the rare time you may get a difficult child (doesnt happen much at all), or parent you just have to learn to deal with them
The pay is not fair I have been here for a year and with children you have to be patient which I love but it also is a important job to fulfill and during covid i feel as they should at least appreciate us even more. I plan on leaving soon which is sad because i love whag i do but the pay is horrible and for my experience and sacrifice for
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay is not good at all
Really love working with the Y. Very supportive environment, team, management. Knowing you’re having a positive impact in the community is wonderful as well.
My branch is the best! The director is so sweet and truly wants you to succeed. The pay is very low for the amount of stuff you do, and they’re really stern about not giving raises for part timers. I’d recommend it if you have a passion for the work they do and not just for the paycheck, because the pay is very low. It’s VERY hard to find full time work at the Y.
Pros
People, free gym membership, flexibility
Cons
Pay, advancement in the company
The Y does a great job of hiring people who care about the cause and are driven to help their community. This job can overwork you for a low wage depending on what department you supervise. You'll make great connections with members of the community, but you really have to have a passion for serving others full time.
Pros
Teamwork and the people you work with
Cons
Low pay and benefits, lack of communication from corporate office to branches
A great place to work! I loved every minute! They helped me become a better leader and gain confidence in social settings that required immediate attention.
If you are looking for work during high school/college, look no further. Super flexible on time the culture can’t be beaten. However, the pay is very low unfortunately.
Pros
Amazing Culture, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay
Summer Camp is fun and you can make a decent amount. However, afterschool is different. I felt under appreciated as I went out of my way to sub and make myself available; however when I needed to request time off for school/personal reasons it always seemed like there was an issue. Co-workers and kids make the job worth it. not much room for growth, you can go from Counselor to Assistant Site Director to Site Director (these are not salary positions), it is not full time nor do they provide benefits.
Pros
Choose what days you want to work
Cons
few hours, pay is okay
Working at the YMCA has been a great experience for me! I learn a lot from my coworkers, everyone is extremely friendly and managers are incredibly flexible! I always look forward to going into work.
Pros
positive environment, flexibility, Fun!!!
Cons
benefits, pay could be higher
I appreciate the camaraderie between co - workers and the help management gave me to improve my skills. I worked at several YMCA's and caliber of management was quite varied, some of the managers played favorites too often.
Pros
Relaxed environment and positive support
Cons
lack of pay and benefits for part - time
great job having an impact on the community. working with kids, the elderly, families. focus on being fit, physically, mentally, and spiritually. wonderful place to work
It often felt like we were thrown to the wolves during the day. There wasn't a clear guideline for counselors to follow and it felt mostly like we were babysitting instead of actually fulfilling the goals of the YMCA
This was my first job, I loved it I worked with children after school. Teaching them healthy activities and doing exercises daily. I enjoyed my time working here and would recommend for first job for teenagers.
A typical day at work has a concrete schedule. The only unpredictable part are external and sometimes student behavior.
I learned a lot of interpersonal communication, and it was a great start job for those who may not know what to do in any career and can use this as a stepping stone to figure it out.

Hardest part of the job is having it understaffed and the students can be highly energetic, not sociable at all, and quite good depending on days and variables. It's an emotional roller coaster.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the students. As I said, there are good days too.
Pros
Friendly staff, great starter job, get my steps in
Cons
Emotionally exhausting for homebodies, strict policies
I had a bachelor's and was told more opportunities would come my way but you have to fight for every opportunities even with a degree. It was tough working at so many different types of schools each with their own set of rules and regulations and every leader compared to the previous leader.
Pros
Early morning shift and afternoon shift short shifts as well
Cons
No healthcare no breaks
It's okay. Pay could be better. Staff and supervisors love what they do so the work environment is pretty good. Staff training is not bad either. Opportunities for growth.
Human Resources is awful. They are unorganized and do not care about their employees. They do not allow the teachers to make any decisions for their classrooms. They allowed an employee who was showing covid-19 symptoms remain at work. That employee ended up being positive for covid-19. Exposing every classroom. They do not like input grom employees. They do not have a pay scale and pay based on demand. Insurance is very expensive. Employee moral is extremely low. Gossip is at an all time high. They are very unacceptinng of new people.
After living at the YMCA many years ago I went back to work there as I felt I could give something back. I mostly enjoyed my time there but 1 or 2 members of staff where very clique and due to me not being an active Christian I was pushed out somewhat. Then another member of staff was bullying myself and 2 others and I reported her.. nothing was done about it and so she carried on eventually leading to me being accused of drug dealing and having reactions with a client.. Later turned out that she was doing those things and actually got sacked.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Long hours. Night staff are treat second rate
You wont make a living working here. Would only advise working if u want part time and minimum wage doesnt bother you. Membership is free if u are an employee.
Pros
Free memberships
Cons
Very low pay. Management look at you like their personal helper
Overall
I love working here. Great resources and training. Before and after school program is great because I can work mornings and evenings and still get my appointments done and any errands i may have.

i worked in the childwatch department. Best job I've ever had! Everyone was nice and wants the best for you. The hours were really flexible and the kids were so much fun to be around.