YMCA Employee Reviews in Christchurch, Canterbury

Found 5 reviews matching the search See all 27,314 reviews
Volunteer with the YMCA
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury13 December 2017
I have been a volunteer with the YMCA for just over a year now. I can honestly say that by working with the YMCA I have gained some incredible experiences that I could not have otherwise. Everyone at the Y is so friendly and welcoming and are more than happy to go out of their way to help you which was amazing! I am still volunteering with YMCA and can see myself doing so for a while.
Pros
Gaining new skills and making connections with others
Cons
N/a
Fun outdoor work environment
Outdoor Educator (Former Employee) –  Christchurch6 December 2017
Wainui Park offered a fun work environment. Working there helped be develop skills with working with people one on one and in large groups. However I would work long days often times without a weekend.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
Long Work Day
A fun, Busy workplace
YMCA Holiday Programme Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch,19 February 2014
I got to work at around 8:30am, Made the room tidy and set out Arts and Crafts/ other activities for the children to do for the day. Around 15 kids turned up at 9am and I would look after them along with my supervisor and other helpers until 5pm. We would take them on outings throughout the city and make sure the children were safe and enjoying themselves. My co-workers were an awesome bunch of people whom I worked very well with. The hardest part of the job was managing some of the 'troubled' children or children with certain needs, ( one 16 year old girl with ADHD and one boy with diabetes) and making sure all the children were all relatively happy with the overall outcome of disagreements they may have had.
Pros
Great workmates and great children to be around, a really fun workplace
Cons
Long Hours and a few of the kids were difficult to handle at times
5 years but no promotion
Volunteer Leadership (Current Employee) –  Christchurch2 February 2014
We are required to attend a planning meeting before the holidays start and be introduced to the supervisors for the different venues. Gather our t shirts. Be there at 8am everyday and basically there to help the supervisor maintain the childrens behavior and activities for the week. Sometimes if you are there for two whole weeks you may feel a bit stressed, bored or tired. You are allowed to move to a different room to have a break.
Pros
Depending on the activites or venues you get in free. eg: Movies.
Cons
Long hours and Inconsistent promotion to people who have not been there long as I have.