Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews for Camp Counselor

Found 2,286 reviews matching the search
A typical workday is relatively easy. I go to one of the drop-offs that the kids go to and then ride a bus with them to camp. Once we're at camp we do three activities, swim, and eat lunch, not in that order though. Then the camp ends at roughly 3:30 pm and we ride the buses back to the drop-offs.
The training prepared me for the job in terms of structure and predictable expectations (kids and situations surrounding kids can be unpredictable; however, the training was in depth enough and provided enough information to prepare for various scenarios). It takes a lot of patience and a personal desire to work with kids. If kids easily bother you, this isn't the job for you.
Loved my fellow camp counselors and the unit leaders were great. It was fun to be apart of an environment that aimed at making children's lives better.
Pros
Great direct management
Cons
No Breaks
Good coworkers, good management, long hours, lower pay. Hardest part of the job was the staying active, most enjoyable was working with the youth. Overall a good experience.
It was really fun working here! The supervisor was nice and helpful. Got a free membership and got to work with kids. It was a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Free memberships
Cons
Short lunch
I loved working for the YMCA summer camps. The other staff and I got along very well and the living conditions were amazing. Working at camp brought me lifelong friendships and benefits, and I loved working here.
Pros
Leadership experience, free meals
I love the social work environment that is included with your responsibilities as a counselor. There was actually nothing bad working for the summer camp. The only things were inconveniences but they were expected depending on the situation of the camp. For example COVID decreasing the amount of campers which decreases the amount of counselors that can be hired.
Pros
You get free camp shirts. Because it’s the summer sometimes the counselors would get popsicles.
Cons
No breaks but that’s assumed when you work in a summer camp.
I love working with the kids every single day. That is the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part is the lack of organization, structure, and schedule that is in the program. The pay is awful for what you have to do.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
No structure, pay, no advancement
The YMCA is cool but poorly ran. I worked in several deparments and different locations and the same problems exist. It can be a fun job but there's always management changes and that can change everything. Some managers are nice and encouraging and some just come to get a check. The organization is a joke but who you work under determines if you like the job or not. There's a lot of rules are are in place for safety and educational reason with is great but a lot of kids don't have fun because of that and empolyees are disrespected daily because the YMCA can't afford to lose money for kicking out bad children.
Pros
Free field trips
Cons
No work Structure
If you are looking for work during high school/college, look no further. Super flexible on time the culture can’t be beaten. However, the pay is very low unfortunately.
Pros
Amazing Culture, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay
It often felt like we were thrown to the wolves during the day. There wasn't a clear guideline for counselors to follow and it felt mostly like we were babysitting instead of actually fulfilling the goals of the YMCA
Worked as a summer camp counselor. The job itself wasn't boring but didn't feel like there was much room for advancement. Work environment and culture feels a bit high school lots of the time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not much room for advancement, lots of cliques
working at the YMCA was a lot of fun! i worked there for about a year as a camp counselor and children’s fitness instructor. i loved my coworkers and the management was really good. very flexible hours!!
I've worked at the YMCA for 5 years now and I've enjoyed my time. I definitely preferred it more when I was in high school but it's still fun. Started off as a junior counselor and was promoted almost every year. The hours are pretty flexible depending on the specific program you work but they're pretty accommodating.
While I would say most YMCAs do a pretty good job when it comes to management, there are still some you need to be aware of. If you walk into a YMCA and notice some red flags right off then I would probably tell that person to try another location. Lets be honest, no place is perfect. I'd just advice anyone that wants to get a job at YMCA to be careful of the location. All in all, YMCA is a great organization, and I love what they do for the community!
Working for the company started off okay. But overall the only thing the "y" cares about is income. Quantity over quality. It's not about the kids or members it about themselves.
I have worked at the YMCA for 5 years, I am a college student so they worked with my schedule which is generous. Being there for so long does not mean anything to my employers. The head boss did not learn my name until my 4th year of working there, sure he is a busy guy but there are not many employees it is not that hard. Being a camp counselor, child care assistant, and YSSC program helper I love the kids with all my heart, but the day to day tasks are not worth it. They do not hire reliable employees, understaffed most of the time, and refuse to pay fairly for the work I do. All in all do not work at the ROXBOROUGH YMCA, go to another site that will pay you fairly and treat you better!
Pros
free membership
Cons
short or no breaks
The staff as well as the management are extremely kind, helpful, and flexible. Everyone is very easy to talk to and always ready to help out. The working climate is relaxed while professional.
The place is understaffed with less care about the children and more care about getting paid. The staff was mean to the children when I worked there and I didn’t approve of that. The children were such a great part of this job and loved playing and being outside.
I started off as a camp counselor and only had a few kids in my group. it was challenging at first because the children were young and i have my degree in secondary elementary. but as the year progressed and I became an inclusion aid and started helping out more with paperwork while still having campers/students.
YMCA is an amazing place to work! Very welcoming of all and everyone is energetic and positive. It is a very rewarding job and I always felt accomplished after work.