Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews for Counselor

I think this is a good place to work for any college student or high school student who’s looking for a part time gig . Ymca always looks good in a resume
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Short hours
It was cool and relaxing defund to work with friends and family the bosses were pretty cool it was fun I would ride the buses to pick up kids from school summer was fun we had lots of activities to do especially lived going swimming at the parks
The ymca is unorganized, hires youth with no experience, does not pay well, allows parents to override their decisions, and does not have the necessary materials to carry out their program.
Pros
Will work with your schedule
Cons
Everything else
Really love working with the Y. Very supportive environment, team, management. Knowing you’re having a positive impact in the community is wonderful as well.
Loved working here. The only thing was the pay. Besides that great opportunity especially if you like dealing with kids. I went on fun field trips but they watch your hours like a hawk. If they paid more I would go back in a New York Minute.
Pros
Field trips, easy routes, summer camp
Cons
Little pay, little to no raises
I was a new counselor for YMCA summer camp and they did not provide me with any training. I was responsible for 30 first graders and was overwhelmed at first, but my co-counselors and managers were always supportive. I worked long shifts, but the kids were fun.
Pros
field trips
Cons
short breaks
I loved working here part-time. Great work environment, great co-workers and management. Okay pay for part-time work. Pay bi-weekly. Easy to get promotion/raise.
Pros
Flexibility, great work environment
Cons
Pay rate
Management made this work environment so toxic. It felt like being in middle school again. I contemplated quitting almost every single day after working.
Good leadership both with students and workers were awesome. Scheduled was flexible for students and outdoor time was a plus. Counselors are wonderful and well train.
Pros
Field trip and working with students. Automatic enroll in AFLAC.
Cons
Sometimes long hours.
Love the place with enough material to do crafts with the kids, should have the choice to bring kids outside for not more than half hour specially when heat goes up, we are in the state of Florida and mostly between December and March the weather doesn't help to be outside, hardest part of work is when some kids finish homework and the rest are still working on it, we should have books for them to read, the best part of my job is the kid's recognition and the way they show they care by expressing it with cards and small notes.
Pros
Nice environment and fun workplace, love to interact with kids as a counselor. Great co workers.
Cons
The paid is not according to the responsibility, I consider a higher wage will also give motivation to counselors.
The job, overall, is really fun and the children are enthusiastic. The most enjoyable part of the day is when the parents start picking up their kids. It's enjoyable because the kids always leave with a smile on their face. That's the most rewarding part of the job.
It is a good place to work. Many options for timing and nature of work. You can do part time or full time based on your choice. No benefits available for part time jobs.
I went there as a camper and then worked there. I loved the experience it was two different experiences but has shaped my life as a young person. My fav part is corn roast.
Pros
residence and great group of staff
Cons
When you are living there you are always on the clock.
Let me first say that while I worked at the Y I loved my job. The kids I worked with were absolutely fantastic, but the resources to help them with their emotional issues were severely lacking. I didn't feel comfortable simply submitting a report and "wiping my hands" of any other way to help. I was fired after I accidentally broke company policy (not anything major, just an ill-thought out tweet), after talking to others with similar jobs at other establishments I was told that I likely would not be outright fired for the same thing at said similar job. That part is very important. This job, while a summer camp counselor job, was held to an extremely high standard. I'd honestly suggest forgoing social media while you work there, it's a minefield. Oh and be aware that they are always watching what you are doing on the security cameras, and even if the kids are having fun it is possible that what they are doing "looks bad on camera." That's just food for thought. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from working there, it's just important that you pay attention to what is expected of you from the get-go.
Pros
Great kids, cool coworkers, fun field trips
Cons
Poor ability to help said kids, sweeping corporate policy with little room for error
We get to have a lot of fun with the kids, I get to know the kids very well and they trust me a lot I love all the kids there. I can’t wait to come back to the school and see all the kids.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Coworkers are very friendly. Everyone is accepting and inclusive. Upper management is questionable in some departments. Not much room to grow unless working for years; felt like a dead-end job. The pay was also questionable.
Pros
Getting to work in the mornings.
Cons
Not enough pay.
I love it there! I’ve been working there for 3 years. I work with the kids and I wouldn’t it trade it for anything else! They make sure I stay in a good mood and always have a smile on my face.
Morning and after school care programs were loose and extremely laissez-faire causing disruptions and inability to properly run program before old site supervisor was replaced with someone who really meant business. Rules were enforced and many employees were used to being paid to do nothing and literally sit on their bums all shift, so this change brought unrest and many employees quit due to enforcing of rules. However, things have run much smoother since new supervisor joined and it is a much better place to work where we actually help the students learn curriculum and enrich their minds.
Loved the children and the parents.The opportunity to work in their lives to give a better life experience for the present and the future. Practiced and learned new ideas, crafts, social interaction with the children as well as the younger employees.
The children were kind and there was always a fun event scheduled. We ate breakfast and went summing a lot. The other counselors were very positive and loving having fun.
Being a camp councilor was a great experience for me. While meeting new people and taking care of kids you find out you have so much time and so much fun on your hands