Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews for Lifeguard

Found 1,525 reviews matching the search
they are like a family. care about there workers. its a great atmosphere
Pros
evreything
Cons
Worked as a lifeguard for several years. The hours were very bad sometimes (early mornings and late nights depending on schedule) and the pay was extremely low. The Y was an ok place to work otherwise.
good for high school students, but the pay isn’t really worth it :( great environment!! love my co workers and boss! Easy going and great job for first timers.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low pay
it was a really good job when I was 16 as a lifeguard as a kid everyone was cool and enjoyed the people that I worked with all the time easy for young adult
Pros
food
Cons
no phone
paid trainings and certifications after initial. overall light workload. the friendly members and staff create comfortable and family like environment.
Pros
flexible scheduling, family environment
Cons
low wages, low hours
The days are very slow and boring. No one will cover your shift if you need it. Before pandemic you would have to come to work sick or you'd be written up.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Poor pay compared to others
Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at YMCA are higher than other places would pay for the same position.ManagementIn general, managers at YMCA are very communicative and supportive
It was a fairly good job in the beginning but most people aren't allowed to have over 30 hours of work a week and the management wasn't the best. A lot of people got written up for very small or unrealistic reasons. Breaks really don't happen and people could not communicate other than about a drowning risk. Even then communication is restricted. I would not advise people to work here unless they are desperate. I have seen many people leave within a few months because of poor management. If you decide on this job be ready to work long hours without food or breaks.
Pros
flexible
Cons
almost no breaks, poor management, and restricted work culture
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at YMCA is very good. Shifts are easy to pick up and give away if needed.Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at YMCA are decentOverallMy experience working at YMCA was fun and never was boring.
A lot of the lower positions are for high school/university age people. You can advance if you really want to. Most jobs are dealing with kids/families. Lifeguarding can be wildly different from location to location.
Pros
Fun and social
Cons
low wages
My boss works hard to make sure everyone has a fair schedule that works for everyone. Highly recommend for kids in school or people who just want to pick up a nice job that helps keep others safe!
I haven't worked here in a long time but from what I remember it was a great place to work during high school. The hours were short but we had a lot of people on staff.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Students always ask to switch shifts
I loved working at the YMCA. They were very friendly and there was never a dull moment. Everyone was very helpful and kind. The kids i worked with were Great!
As a lifeguard, you will have a 30 minute break on your rotation at least every 2 hours. This is perfect for college or highschool students that are looking to do homework during breaks. As a negative note, the workplace has little to no communication between management, other departments, or internal department. Schedules do not get posted in a timely matter (often the night before they go in effect), and important events are not sent to supervisors/staff from management.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Little to no communication, schedules do not get posted on time, no yearly reviews for pay
I loved working at the Young Men’s Christian Association of the Ozarks. It was a very positive environment with a lot of opportunities to succeed. I would work there again.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Very friendly place to be. Was a lifeguard and the pay was ok but could of used more as a college student. Requires waking up early. I like the YMCA, however I feel a bit weird working for a company where religion is such a big factor.
It was a good place to startIt was fun every one was niceEven thing was clean and organized There was help when you need itThe staff was great and caring
● OverallThe why helped me start off, but I wish I would have would not have depended on it cause in the long run it didn’t help me at all. I give everyone at the work place credit, but I would never recommend it as a first job.
The people there were always talking abut each other and the management always wanted to be apart of it. It was honestly a very toxic place to work and I didn’t enjoy it.
How easy it was to get started and fit in and also how welcoming everyone was when I first started working. I also enjoyed my hours and how flexible they were to my schedule.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Not really any
Very good nothing bad to say expect some people’s positions they took to their head and thought of them selves higher than everyone else. :)