Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews for Swim Instructor

Found 1,388 reviews matching the search
You learn to adore the patrons you work for, even though they sometimes are a bit devious. You sit around a lot and watch the patrons to make sure they don't drown. If no one is in your pool then you clean everything. The job teaches responsibility and accountability for your actions.
Pros
You can make close friends with coworkers
Cons
the pay isn't much
I love coaching and leading my swimmers to develop proper technique and competitive skills needed to succeed in the sport! The children I have taught during lessons are wonderful as well. The Y has great programs that help teach basic safety skills to youth and adults while focusing on core values such as responsibility, honesty, respect, and community engagement. I would recommend a job at the Y for anyone who wants to invest their time betting their community.
Cons
Most positions are part time for employees and do not have benefits
This is a very well-organized aquatics department, much more than my previous roles. The directors are also helpful and understanding of special scheduling considerations, which is good for students.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to pick up shifts, frequent in-service trainings, paid recerftifications
Cons
Directors are not always on the same page as each other
Work was decent, the pay was expected. Great community to work with a diverse group of individuals from various backgrounds. Great place for part-time work.
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at YMCA is ok if you can say no. Otherwise you’ll cover a shift for someone and then you’ll be guilted into taking the shift permanently.Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at YMCA are minimum for the state & you’ll never get a raise. benefits are nonexistent if you’re a part time or seasonal worker. They force you to fill out paperwork allowing you to work overtime without OT pay & not receive benefits.ManagementIn general, managers at YMCA expect more from their employees than they get paid for.OverallMy experience working at YMCA was the worst job I’ll ever have. For 3 years maintenance insisted that the ventilation was working fine. Yet 3 people, including me, had to take unpaid leave due to chlorine poisoning. It got to the point where I would be on the verge of passing out or throwing up. It took a change of management to fix the chlorine.My coworkers would constantly drop their shifts last minute & I would be guilted into picking them up all the time. I never had a holiday off because my coworkers would no call no show & I’d have to go in for the full 10 hour shift. I was constantly working overtime but not getting OT pay. I never got to enjoy my summers because I was constantly picking up the slack.None of my coworkers would clean the decks, tidy up the activity area, scrub the algae scum off the pool, vacuum the pool, etc. The pool was so nasty up until recently that 2 of my brand new bathing suits were destroyed. They were bleached and stretched out bc the elastic fibers had been eaten by the high pH. The pool was - more...
You will get the hours if you ask for them, but you cannot go over 28 hours per week. Even with Covid, if you are sick, it is your responsibility to get shifts covered. You are to only ask your supervisor as a final resort if you cannot get shifts covered. Before you ask for help getting a shift covered, you have to go through a ridiculous amount of steps first. I have been left out of important messages sent to staff many times. I have been working there for 2 years and have only gotten a raise once only because the minimum wage went up. I still get paid the same as new employees. If you are looking for an easy job that does not require you to do much, then this is a good job for you
It’s a great place to work if you like working with kids/ have skills with teaching. Even if you have no experience teaching, it’s a great opportunity to learn about both how the mind of a child works as well as how the human body works. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone as young as a high school student because it bridges the gap between generations, younger and older. My experience teaching in the aquatics center has made me learn more about other people and in general, how to swim more than I ever would have expected, being a swimmer and eventually a captain of my swim team at the time.
Pros
Free access to YMCA facilities
Cons
Short breaks, mainly for instructors
Worked there for 8 years and when covid hit my immediate supervisor did not put me back on the schedule when they reopened. No loyalty for my 8 years of employment.
The managers seldom did anything about my complaints of my other employees, very unhelpful when I needed to change my work days, and over all bad environment. But, I did learn a lot on the job and learned to take things into my own hands.
During my time here I was mostly stressed and the management did not make things better. I worked in the aquatics area where people constantly yell at you and argue with you. Management made it clear they value members over employees by letting teenage staff get yelled and cursed out by adults. Don't work here.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Bad pay, bad management
I got this job at 16 and I really love it! The kids are eager to learn but you need to know how to keep them focused. Don’t be a swim instructor if you want to fool around at work. This is an important skill that can shape their lives.
Pros
Above minimum wage, increase communication skills, good first job
Cons
Long hours with no/little breaks, Parents :(
I worked here from 16-18 years old . I had a great experience lifeguarding and becoming a swim coach. It was a rewarding experience that taught me time management and how to be around others.
The YMCA I was at may have been the worse one but it wasn't great. They were very unorganized and dirty, there were many scandals with employees dnd with clients. That being said there is allot of fun to be had and things to learn. these are community no for profits get ready to have a work family, as dysfunctional as it may be. I just feel as though a YMCA should not have the same issues as a budding small business but it does
Pros
Fun job, great role models
Cons
Unprofessional management, discrimination
I started with the Y when I was fairly young and didn’t know much about business, you could say I was naive. My only passion was teaching children to swim and I honestly loved teaching the kids. Management left much to be desired and often we were short staffed, meaning less staff to do more tasks; I would leave feeling: cold, exhausted and frustrated. Management constantly bullied staff that they didn’t like and I found the environment toxic and fake. Overall I was so much happier once I left and I would strongly encourage others to think twice before commencing employement.
Pros
Cons
Cold water, constantly sick, management don’t care
Good hours, descent pay, and nice staff. Working in the summer as a lifegaurd is also a bonus because you can work waterpark and get tan. The hours are also very flexible.
Pros
Inservice Parties
Cons
N/a
I love the co workers and how nice and helpful everyone is and how clean they keep the facility and great exercise classes there is to take at the gym.
a typical day at work would include watching more than 100 people in our pools at any given time giving swim tests to kids in a fast manner making sure none of our activities for the pool are disturbed. Making sure all of my guards are focused on the pool and ready for work. Running chemical tests to insure quality of water and chlorine. and lastly running drills on lifegaurds simulating an emergency in facility or pool with observation drills, dolls.
Pros
free membership
Cons
short breaks can be very stressful
Did this on a volunteer basis for 3 years while in middle school and into high school. It was fun dealing with the children and wasn’t that bad when I first started but it had quickly started getting worse. I had gotten along with my boss but I did not get along with most of the supervisors. There was a lot of drama, and favouritism among workers who tended to slack off a lot, which I found very unprofessional. I was left out of the loop for most things and got failed for no reason during one of the certification courses. It seemed like bullying at its finest. I was unhappy there for a very long time until I left.
Pros
Dealing with children
Cons
Poor management, co workers, drama, bullying
great starter job, would recommend to those good with kids. hours tend to be semi short and at odd times as the lessons are scheduled for the connivence of the swimmers/ participants
The shifts are flexible so you can work 2 hours or 8. There is a lot of flexibility in departments so you can move around from aquatics to childcare and etc if you want the hours.
Pros
great people
Cons
minimum wage
The swim instructor position is very fun and outgoing and you will defenitly get hours working there about 20 hours a week i would say. Time goes by fast working there.