YMCA Employee Reviews for Volunteer

Found 8 reviews matching the search See all 27,377 reviews
Great environment
Volunteer Homework Club Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, Canterbury23 July 2017
Helped children complete homework after school.
Basic skills needed as the children are all in elementary school.
Lack of organization in the management team.
Great place!
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury3 March 2017
This was a great place to volunteer! They made sure everyone part of the group had a good time and they looked after everyone well. I really enjoyed bonding with the people there
Pros
fun outings
Fun place to work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gisborne, Gisborne25 January 2017
I enjoyed this volunteering work not only was i working and interacting with kids but there were also courses and programes we could further on to if we chose to work there.
Pros
Free lunches and a different thing every day
productive learning space
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tokoroa Waikato13 August 2015
volunteering at the ymca made me gain friendship with all types of different people as well as managing my communication skills, i worked with varies of students aswell as sports managers ect, i really enjoyed my time volunteering for this company.
Pros
free lunchs
Fun workplace
Volunteer Holiday Programme (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N1 February 2015
We had a roster, delegated to different age groups and activities, I was delegated to in-house all the time until my last day. I learned how to play a few games, how be firm but assertive towards kids as they do not tend to listen, how to interact with kids and boost people to try new things. Management was lovely. Co-workers were cool. There wasn't really a hard part of the job, but enjoyed it working there.
A fun, Busy workplace
YMCA Holiday Programme Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch,19 February 2014
I got to work at around 8:30am, Made the room tidy and set out Arts and Crafts/ other activities for the children to do for the day. Around 15 kids turned up at 9am and I would look after them along with my supervisor and other helpers until 5pm. We would take them on outings throughout the city and make sure the children were safe and enjoying themselves. My co-workers were an awesome bunch of people whom I worked very well with. The hardest part of the job was managing some of the 'troubled' children or children with certain needs, ( one 16 year old girl with ADHD and one boy with diabetes) and making sure all the children were all relatively happy with the overall outcome of disagreements they may have had.
Pros
Great workmates and great children to be around, a really fun workplace
Cons
Long Hours and a few of the kids were difficult to handle at times
5 years but no promotion
Volunteer Leadership (Current Employee) –  Christchurch2 February 2014
We are required to attend a planning meeting before the holidays start and be introduced to the supervisors for the different venues. Gather our t shirts. Be there at 8am everyday and basically there to help the supervisor maintain the childrens behavior and activities for the week. Sometimes if you are there for two whole weeks you may feel a bit stressed, bored or tired. You are allowed to move to a different room to have a break.
Pros
Depending on the activites or venues you get in free. eg: Movies.
Cons
Long hours and Inconsistent promotion to people who have not been there long as I have.