Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from YMCA:

YMCA Management reviews

New Zealand39 reviews
I enjoyed working there .. and worked there for a few yrs .. sadly had an issue with one of the managements grandkids that attended (she was one of these ones who had probs with authority and had a smart mouth (rude etc) and told staff that she didnt have to do anything we asked as her nanna was one of the boss's there) and caused probs with staff

most of the staff left because of her (was south waikato)

but most of the job was good some great activities , trips and fun and seeing the kids grow in all ways and some shy kids come out of their shells is the bonus and main goal I did the holiday programme 7am - 5:30 but they often had some staff that would come in at 10 and work till 3 (part timers or those fitting in with committments)

I did the holiday programme and ran the before school programme too (that started at 6 am and we took the kids to the school to drop off and picked most of them up at 3 if the parents didnt) so that ran from 6- 9 am and then after school programme was 2:30pm - 5:30 (but a few of us had to wait till last pick up which was often 6pm)
Pros
exciting trips and activities, meeting and seeing kids grow, making new friends etc
Cons
the rare time you may get a difficult child (doesnt happen much at all), or parent you just have to learn to deal with them
I learned how to work with kids of different ages. Communicate with fellow staff members and parents when needed. Also what do when there was an incident and how to follow through to ensure everyone's safety. Management is great and thorough.
Job was fun, went to many different places and met a lot of new people. I learned plenty about child care, management was caring and understanding, the workplace culture is very much one for all and all for one, the Job can be boring at times.
Was a 6 month contract to sort out and simplify there infrastructure.
This was extended to 2.5 years, in this time systems and processes were put in place to allow them to easily integrate new business units into the YMCA portfolio
Pros
People
Cons
No clear direction from CEO
Helped children complete homework after school.
Basic skills needed as the children are all in elementary school.

Lack of organization in the management team.
Was the CEO of this organisations, resigned due to Board of Directors bullying culture, plus Board not knowing what their role was within the organisation they were there there to govern not to be involved in the operational workings of the organisation.
Pros
Great community organisation
Cons
Working for the YMCA has been great but very tough at the same time. My average day started at 9 am and i finished at 8 pm long days most days. The setting tho was beautiful and I really liked the people I worked with. My instructor manager was fantastic and very approachable having said that the higher management were very hard to please and tough to read. I pride myself on working hard so I found this quite difficult to handle and times.
Pros
amazing place, made lots of lifelong friends
Cons
Higher management
We had a roster, delegated to different age groups and activities, I was delegated to in-house all the time until my last day. I learned how to play a few games, how be firm but assertive towards kids as they do not tend to listen, how to interact with kids and boost people to try new things. Management was lovely. Co-workers were cool. There wasn't really a hard part of the job, but enjoyed it working there.
A typical day @ work involved beyond friendly co-workers that were kind to me since day one, fun activities (unorganized and organised eg. free time and set activities from leaders) eating, laughing, fun.
I learned patience, to be understanding and fair and to be loving and kind that kids and people in general need to be listened to and everyone loves someone they can laugh and have fun with. Also, consistency. To be you and not change values or rules.

Management sometimes wasn't organised but I know she did her best with what she could and sometimes we were short-staffed. I'm grateful that she always called me first. My co-workers were choice, always nice to me, taught me and included me.
Hardest Part of the job would of been being professional and not treating the kids too much like little siblings and also being stuck in the YMCA stadium all day with all the centres being inside, having that for 8 hours was crazy.

Most enjoyable part of the job would of been the affection you get from the kids, when they draw you pictures, make a beeline for you for a hug or hold your hand. Also the field trips for sure! getting to go to places like Kelly Tarlton's or Rainbows End, mean as.
Pros
Field trips, Friendships, Activities
Cons
Long Hours, Stuck in the same venue, got boring sometimes, not allowed movies in the arvo (chill out time)