Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
YMCA Employee Review

Fun, Busy, Rewarding workplace

25 June 2013
A typical day @ work involved beyond friendly co-workers that were kind to me since day one, fun activities (unorganized and organised eg. free time and set activities from leaders) eating, laughing, fun.
I learned patience, to be understanding and fair and to be loving and kind that kids and people in general need to be listened to and everyone loves someone they can laugh and have fun with. Also, consistency. To be you and not change values or rules.

Management sometimes wasn't organised but I know she did her best with what she could and sometimes we were short-staffed. I'm grateful that she always called me first. My co-workers were choice, always nice to me, taught me and included me.

Hardest Part of the job would of been being professional and not treating the kids too much like little siblings and also being stuck in the YMCA stadium all day with all the centres being inside, having that for 8 hours was crazy.

Most enjoyable part of the job would of been the affection you get from the kids, when they draw you pictures, make a beeline for you for a hug or hold your hand. Also the field trips for sure! getting to go to places like Kelly Tarlton's or Rainbows End, mean as.
Pros
Field trips, Friendships, Activities
Cons
Long Hours, Stuck in the same venue, got boring sometimes, not allowed movies in the arvo (chill out time)
6 June 2019
Same location
OSCAR leader (Former Employee) - Hamilton City, Waikato
While working for the YMCA we were always encouraged to uphold the four YMCA values responsibility, respect, caring and honesty. Even after leaving this job, I continue to carry out these values in my day to day life.
By working for the YMCA I learned that it is okay to ask for help and step in when you see someone else struggling. I enjoyed working with a diverse range of people from any different cultures and of many different ages.

Not having a set number of guaranteed hours every week was a struggle.
14 June 2020
Team Leader (Former Employee) - Tokoroa, Waikato
I enjoyed working there .. and worked there for a few yrs .. sadly had an issue with one of the managements grandkids that attended (she was one of these ones who had probs with authority and had a smart mouth (rude etc) and told staff that she didnt have to do anything we asked as her nanna was one of the boss's there) and caused probs with staff

most of the staff left because of her (was south waikato)

but most of the job was good some great activities , trips and fun and seeing the kids grow in all ways and some shy kids come out of their shells is the bonus and main goal I did the holiday programme 7am - 5:30 but they often had some staff that would come in at 10 and work till 3 (part timers or those fitting in with committments)

I did the holiday programme and ran the before school programme too (that started at 6 am and we took the kids to the school to drop off and picked most of them up at 3 if the parents didnt) so that ran from 6- 9 am and then after school programme was 2:30pm - 5:30 (but a few of us had to wait till last pick up which was often 6pm)
Pros
exciting trips and activities, meeting and seeing kids grow, making new friends etc
Cons
the rare time you may get a difficult child (doesnt happen much at all), or parent you just have to learn to deal with them
2 June 2020
holiday/afcare assistant (Current Employee) - Hastings, Hawke's Bay
I learned how to work with kids of different ages. Communicate with fellow staff members and parents when needed. Also what do when there was an incident and how to follow through to ensure everyone's safety. Management is great and thorough.