YMCA Employee Review

Fun, Busy, Rewarding workplace
Holiday Programme Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton25 June 2013
A typical day @ work involved beyond friendly co-workers that were kind to me since day one, fun activities (unorganized and organised eg. free time and set activities from leaders) eating, laughing, fun.
I learned patience, to be understanding and fair and to be loving and kind that kids and people in general need to be listened to and everyone loves someone they can laugh and have fun with. Also, consistency. To be you and not change values or rules.
Management sometimes wasn't organised but I know she did her best with what she could and sometimes we were short-staffed. I'm grateful that she always called me first. My co-workers were choice, always nice to me, taught me and included me.
Hardest Part of the job would of been being professional and not treating the kids too much like little siblings and also being stuck in the YMCA stadium all day with all the centres being inside, having that for 8 hours was crazy.
Most enjoyable part of the job would of been the affection you get from the kids, when they draw you pictures, make a beeline for you for a hug or hold your hand. Also the field trips for sure! getting to go to places like Kelly Tarlton's or Rainbows End, mean as.
Pros
Field trips, Friendships, Activities
Cons
Long Hours, Stuck in the same venue, got boring sometimes, not allowed movies in the arvo (chill out time)

Other YMCA Employee Reviews

Encouraged diversity, personal growth and a real team environment.
OSCAR leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton City, Waikato6 June 2019
While working for the YMCA we were always encouraged to uphold the four YMCA values responsibility, respect, caring and honesty. Even after leaving this job, I continue to carry out these values in my day to day life.
By working for the YMCA I learned that it is okay to ask for help and step in when you see someone else struggling. I enjoyed working with a diverse range of people from any different cultures and of many different ages.
Not having a set number of guaranteed hours every week was a struggle.
People good, bringing them into the 20th century was a good challenge
ICT Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland16 July 2018
Was a 6 month contract to sort out and simplify there infrastructure.
This was extended to 2.5 years, in this time systems and processes were put in place to allow them to easily integrate new business units into the YMCA portfolio
Pros
People
Cons
No clear direction from CEO

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

511.4K